Author Topic: bread and dripping  (Read 7397 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
bread and dripping
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:55:39 »
Does anyone still eat this? I haven't since the sixties  :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: bread and dripping
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 16:10:55 »
i dont however my dad would give his right arm for the stuff myself i cant stand fat its nasty but hay ho each to their own
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 16:55:35 »
Like Johnny I don't like it but fried bread is brilliant......why???.....isn't it basically the same ?:drunken_smilie:

Or is it a hot and cold thing?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 17:15:36 »
indeed i like fried bread on occasion and granary bread toasted with olive oil  but hard fats no
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 18:19:11 »
No.  Never have to my knowledge but Dad, now deceased, used to talk about it being often all there was to eat sometimes when he was growing up in the depression and was nostalgic for the taste and texture.

I don't have a problem with animal fat as long as it's attached to some tasty meat and well cooked but I loathe fried bread and other greasy foods.

We never have margarine, soft spread butter and other "lite" fats in the house.   When I do want fat or dairy it has to be the real thing.  OH and I are both now in our 60s and have healthy weights and cholesterol and sugar levels so we're doing something right.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 19:22:46 »
Yes, I buy pork in bulk  and render the fat down to lard and cracklings, if I cook a roast I always drain off some of the fat before I make the gravy and that  is  for my bread and dripping ,it settles in the pot ,creamy white as the top with the brown meaty taste at the bottom. I think it is no more unhealthy than butter. Next to duck fat it is great for roasties
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 20:31:18 »
You really do not know what you are missing. We used to almost fight to get to the bottom of the dripping basin where the jelly was. They tell us it was very bad for us ,guess they must have been right I have only got to 85 so far.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 20:33:03 by laurieuk »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 22:42:08 »
As a child during the war, I remember eating 'doorsteps' of bread and dripping. When we were lucky enough to have a Sunday roast, the pork or beef was usually very fatty, so there was dripping to look forward to - especially the brown bits and jelly at the bottom of the basin (as Laurieuk says!). I used to get told off for sprinkling too much salt on it. I tried a slice of pork bread and dripping a few years ago, but it had no flavour - just tasted greasy! Probably due to the difference in the way pigs are reared these days.

Tricia :wave:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 23:33:35 »
Well I hate to publicly admit it but...

I minced pork today about 8 pounds to make sausages, the pork skin was removed, cut into squares and sat on a very low  heat  for a couple of hours, after draining it a few times I have just a bit over 1 pint of fat which of course is lard..but I also have a big bowl full of scratchings which I am nibbling on as we speak, still warm, very crisp  slightly salted...oh I pretend they are for the dogs but can't resist a few!!!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 17:34:06 »
In Germany I bought some "Schmaltz" by the roadside, thinking it was jellified stock to make soup with when I got home (I was really buying something else, but was intrigued by the label), and was very disappointed by its fattiness. I now know it is for frying and roasting with.......

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 21:02:08 »
No, but i have been known to fry bread in butter when i was younger and in fact did this today for MIL who cant eat toast any more as its 2 hard and she has no teeth. So fried bread (with some butter and bacon in pan for flavor as she cant eat that any more either) and a soft fried egg for her today was a real treat !!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 07:45:41 »
In the fifties it was a teatime treat, toast and mucky fat.  Beef was always the best, chicken unheard of except at xmas, but pork always gave you a nice jelly under the fat. Not allowed to eat it nowadays, but I can be found creeping down the stairs early on boxing day to swipe some when nobody is looking.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 19:45:37 »
I LOVE dripping. With or without the jelly bit at the bottom. My Dad lived through the war and this is one of the treats he raised me on. My veggie OH is horrified each time I eat it. Also love pork scratchings, though I don't make them myself. There's a farm shop near my brother's which does and Every Time I visit him I get at least one bag.

Artichoke - schmaltz is essentially used the same way as dripping but you sprinkle salt on top. Zwiebelschmaltz has bits of crispy onion in it. Mum grew up in post-war Berlin and schmaltz on toast was a regular meal during rationing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal