Author Topic: Water pipe cloches  (Read 13072 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Water pipe cloches
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:45 »
We are going to build a tall cloche over a bed using 20mm diameter water pipe. What I'm not sure of is the rebar width/diameter to buy. We want to thread the water pipe over the rebar.

I know I should get fit as snug as possible but wondered...
A. What diameter have you guys used
B. How do you cut lengths to right height...or will suppliers do this...what have you guys found works?

Thanks
Jackie

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Water pipe cloches
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:48:05 »
That pipe has an inside diameter of 15.4mm so 15mm overall diameter of rebar would be ideal but the rebar standard size No4 is the one you would want with outside diameter of 12.7mm as the next size up is too big.

As to supply a local steel fabricator or blacksmith would I am sure be able to help you out if you want it cut to length or for that matter anyone with an angle grinder.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:14:19 »
Thanks, that's really helpful :)

We did have a source of cheap rebar but not available at present.

Cheapest tube we can see is Copper..do you think thats OK. Our friend is a plumber, so potential offcuts
Jackie

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:36:40 »
Anything free is good obviously but I would not pay for copper as it corrodes very quickly. I would suggest maybe trying Flintshire Steel and Timber unless you have anyone who works with metal locally.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 13:26:01 »
Davyboi, thanks so much for link. Helpful firm and we got a good deal. Collecting later :)
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 14:43:22 »
Another question. Is there a formula for working out how much polythene or flack to cover ?

I was thinking of using this and scaling down

https://www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk/polythene-calculator
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 15:22:29 »
Another question. Is there a formula for working out how much polythene or flack to cover ?

Yes and no..... it depends upon your dimensions e.g are they going to be semi-circular or are they going to have vertical sides.?

If semicircular the formula is ½ Pi D where D equals the width of the bed. (plus a bit each side for sticking into the ground)

If You have vertical sides of say 18" then the formula is roughly ½ Pi D + 2x18"

I use these they are made of hoop iron which is easily bent to suit various bed widths where what you are describing are only really suited to the width of the bed you design them for.

I have had these for nearly twenty years now and I cant recall the lengths I bought but I do believe they are around 10ft long (3metres)

The beauty of this is I can vary the height of them simply by pushing them into the soil to the desired height. Because they are so thin there is very little resistance and cut into the soil like a knife!

What I do recall is hoop iron comes from the steel mills in stock sizes which mght be around 30-35 ft (10-12m) so I bought full lengths and cut them into three equal pieces.This means there is no waste so there are no cutting charges ( they are easily cut with a standard hacksaw)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 17:14:05 »
That looks really effective...be ideal for my strawberry bed.  Is that the flat hooping, like they use round barrels?
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 17:56:37 »
That looks really effective...be ideal for my strawberry bed.  Is that the flat hooping, like they use round barrels?

Basically yes but there are lots of widths and gauges available subject to its eventual use.

One or two of the plot holders on our site have what you describe it is galvanised and is about two inches wide by around three sixteenth or so thick, whereas what I use is mild steel about one inch wide and an eigth of an inch thick.

I like the true hoop iron but at the time I bought mine I got it in part of a bulk order my company was buying. So economy and effectiveness was the order of the day an I bought five lengths.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 20:01:42 »
  If you go to West Coast Seeds, thensee their chices of help guides, you will find one on making a cloche greenhouse.It will tell you exactly how to do it, and what to buy. Although it is Canada it is all good for the UK too.

I tried to put a link but couldn't

The article us making a cloche greenhouse but it is just as good for making a smaller version

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 20:08:45 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 20:11:29 »
Thanks Tee Gee, quick on the draw..

You should havealook while there as it is a good source of reference for many things..check out their planting guide
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 20:57:30 »
Thank you. I'm trying things I wouldtherwise  feel " out of my depth with " without the help on this site. Very much appreciated.
Jackie

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 09:00:58 »
Tee Gee - any recommendations for the "floppy" netting you seem to be using? Particularly suppliers?
Many thanks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 09:52:09 »
It is fruit netting as seen here.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/garden-and-plant-netting-tcid27.html

Word of warning only buy the knitted stuff it will last for years go to a reliable suppliers there are load of cheap substitutes on the Internet.

The single strand nylon stuff Bean netting is rubbish for this purpose.

Always remember to get a width that is at least one metre wider than the bed width to give you a bit of height.

As far as suppliers are concerned I guess it is a case of shopping around, the above link I used was only to show you a close up of it.

Most garden centres will carry it perhaps if you had a look there first to get some brand names then you could look on line for what you want.

I hope that helps

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 13:50:59 »
Tee Gee - any recommendations for the "floppy" netting you seem to be using? Particularly suppliers?
Many thanks.
i use debris netting you can get it from scaffold direct id get the 3mt wide stuff 3mtx50mt white is around £40 plus a bit of postage mine has lasted five years i reakon ill get this season out of it and then ill use it for covering seed beds to stop the cats it really is good value and ive had no probs with it
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 04:29:18 »
I like debris netting too - brilliant stuff, and as a bonus the birds don't seem to get caught in it. I hate that plastic netting with small squares, ever since I had to pull out a half dead bird that had been caught in it at least a day, it died in my hands - I'm not a squeamish person, but it wasn't very nice to think of the thing all frighteneed and suffering.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 17:42:42 »
Many thanks for the netting replies. Yes, "knitted" is what I am looking for. I have a roll of debris netting which I have found cheap and useful, but the centre holes need sewing up to keep butterflies out! I also find that it is quite a lot warmer inside than out and made a whitefly haven! Thanks again.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 18:12:25 »
ive now finished this cloche for my pumpkins if the rain holds of ill post a pic of the finished article
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 18:35:37 »
Question Johnny?

Why are you covering your pumpkins, particularly when they want copious amounts of moisture?

I grow mine on the compost heap and let the rainfall do the rest.

We have to have an exceptionally dry season before I supplement the moisture by manual watering.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal