Author Topic: Ericaceous compost - low pH  (Read 4430 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Ericaceous compost - low pH
« on: May 03, 2016, 12:56:16 »
Another pH related post. Acidic this time...

I have just bought two blueberry bushes and didn't want to shell out on expensive ericaceous compost. I am making a raised bed to house these bushes. Is there any way to make an acidic, low pH bed for blueberrys, without using sulphuric acid?

I heard that composting pine needles and oak leaves ends up as pH neutral.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Ericaceous compost - low pH
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 16:45:10 »

Cestrian, I have heard about composted pine needles as well.  Peat too (but it's use is problematic as it is not an easily renewable ressource).  I must admit having witnessed how peat is mined for fuel on Scottish Islands and how much they used for their egg and bacon at breakfast alone, I really would not begrudge a gardener the odd pack.  There is an organic peat from run-off rather than mined from peat bogs.  http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p494/MOORLAND-GOLD-Natural-Peat-Alternative-40-Litre/product_info.html

Compost is very slightly acidic too. 

Regarding pine needles, is it actually ok to take away a couple of bags of forest floor?  Or should one only use them from pine trees in gardens?  Maybe garden centres do them but I don't recall seeing them. 

:wave:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 16:47:21 by galina »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 16:51:40 »
sulphate of iron is a acid soil conditioner pine needle bark all lower the ph of the soil nb: if planting blueberries cut the compost 60/40 with sand blueberries like moist well drained soil ericaceous is very claggy the sand helps the drainage hope this helps pic is one of my early blueberries in bloom mid april
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 17:04:04 »
I answered this earlier but it seems to have vanished.

I am surrounded by blueberry farms, BC is a very big producer of highbush blueberries. I also grow them myself, have for years even in the UK. If in the ground remove the soil and replace with peat, you can put some regular soil around the plant if you wish after planting but it is rooted in the peat ditto in a pot, This is exactly what the commercial growers do ,and  they mulch with peat too.  I have never fertilized my plants they groww ell and produce good, do remember of course that you need to have more than one variety that flower at the same time. I have quite a few that have different harvest times but they all have partners.  I don't know if the commercial growers fertilise, I will pop in ask next time I am out there. They also sell plants and this is the advise they give.

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:40:50 »
Thanks for the advice from all.

Galina - thanks for the link on peat alternative. I will look in to that.
Johnny - good tip on the sand. I prefer not to use sulphate if possible. the rest of my plot is organic and I read that sulphate can kill the fungus that help to make the soil acidic.
Jeannine - didn't realise that each variety needed a partner. i have bought one of each variety, flowering/fruiting at different times. Looks like I need to buy some more plants (and some peat - from a green source). thanks for the advice. I've learnt a lot.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 06:43:52 »
Check on line before you go shopping you may have some already that will pollinate each other,, there will be a list of varieties, when they bloom and which is best to grow with it. When I was first over in 2000 blueberries were just beginning but I think there are many more places to get them now, Oh and make sure you only buy High Bush..not any low bush ones. already have some that will pollinate each other
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 08:55:36 »
Jeannine, what's the advantage of high bush varieties?
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 20:37:16 »
Hector, the low bush is the wild one which all the high bush varieties are bred from, there is a move over here to try to bring them back so they are showing up. They are smaller bushes, sprawling ,fruit later, less yield  but they will grow in colder places when the high bush ones might not. This doesn't apply to you though. The flavor is sweeter though and they are a native plant, hence the reason for bringing it back. None of the commercial growers use it and very few folks have ever tasted it. If you had acres and acres of land and wanted to , they are available. but for the regular garden and it's owners needs the high bush is the way too go because... The bush is taller and much more tidy, they are ready at a good time in the season and there are many varieties that help one another, The berries are much bigger and fatter, think of redcurrant versus blueberry, and the yield far out ways the low bush in a every way.

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal