Author Topic: Alkaline compost - high pH  (Read 1981 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Alkaline compost - high pH
« on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:07 »
Hi all, not been on for a while, but glad to have come out of hibernation.

There is a skip at our local council tip with a sign saying free compost, that is full of a rich, dark crumbly compost. so armed with rubble buckets I made a big dent in it. One thing I noticed though is that it has a burnt smell to it and it is very dark, so I brought some in to work and checked the pH in the lab by mixing some with distilled water and it came out as pH 9.0 !!!!!

I think this compost comes from the recycle bins that we leave outside our houses twice a month and I suspect that the stuff that cant be composted, i.e, trees etc, is probably burnt and then mixed back in, so this compost probably has a high ash content and certainly a high pH.

Is this suitable to use for brassicas? This is the first time I've really considered pH, but 9.0 seems very high to me.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Alkaline compost - high pH
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 14:08:40 »
It is not something I have a problem with so all I can do is direct you to the RHS 's take on the subjecthttps://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=82

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Alkaline compost - high pH
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 15:29:00 »
 BC is a mayore highbush blueberry area.I am surrounded by blueberry farms, and  I grow them myself too. The natural answer is peat, the normal soil is either removed  from the planting hole and replaced with peat or heavily amended with it. .XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal