Author Topic: I'm Back...and I Need an Allotment.  (Read 2250 times)

Stork

• Quarter Acre
I'm Back...and I Need an Allotment.
« on: May 02, 2016, 19:46:39 »
Hi all,

This is my first post since late 2012. I was living in Qatar then and showing off my Christmas tomatoes. I'm now in Buckinghamshire and spent this Bank Holiday weekend barrowing 8 tons of topsoil into my back garden. I surprised myself that I didn't entirely collapse under the workload but it's all in place now.

Once the garden has gone from building site to - well - garden, I am going to get an allotment on my local site. The only vacant plots are fully grassed over so that'll be another load of hard work. Maybe the lucky soul who inherited my pristine and award winning plot at Headstone Lane in Harrow can come over and give me a hand. I believe they have a moral duty!!

I have some courgettes and tomato seedlings shooting up in propagators that I will grow in my garden for this year. I think I'll prep my new allotment by digging, covering with manure and then black plastic and leave it to condition for a year. It'll be hard staying off it but worth it in the end.

Good luck to all for a great growing season. It's lovely to be back after 10 years in the desert.

Stork.

Have no fear of perfection. You will never reach it. (Salvador Dali)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: I'm Back...and I Need an Allotment.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 20:40:05 »
welcome back and good luck in your quest :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 20:50:04 »
Welcome back Stork.

Just a thought for you.........have you considered a green manure crop to add a bit of nitrogen to your soil. What is on my mind is the grass that is present, and subsequently the manure you are going to put on might pull out all the nitrogen out of your soil which you will need to get your young plants going the following year.

....as I said it is just a thought........plus remember you will be hard pushed to get tomatoes a Christmas now.......welcome back...Tg

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 21:17:30 »
.... Maybe the lucky soul who inherited my pristine and award winning plot at Headstone Lane in Harrow can come over and give me a hand. I believe they have a moral duty!!

We're at Melbourne Avenue (hence the username), close to the Headstone allotments.  I'm not volunteering, though!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal