Author Topic: Hardening off in this weather?  (Read 3683 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Hardening off in this weather?
« on: April 29, 2016, 18:44:34 »
HI - I have lots of stuff that really could be going in the ground now, but with the weather being so cold, I don't even want to chance the hardening off process. I would usually put them outside during the day and bring in in the evening. I thought about it today but fortunately didnt as we had several heavy hail showers. If its only cold (i.e no hail) would others start putting them out or wait till temperatures rise a bit?

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Hardening off in this weather?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 19:29:03 »
Hi it depends on what plants you have to put out.If say its cabbage or such like i put mine in to a cold frame & lift the lid during the day but on again at night.
After a day or so start lifting the lid on cf a bit over night  until no lid needed normally 5 days or so.
If runners i have put mine out this early & put a dust sheet around them until the weather gets better "dose not always work depends on how cold it gets"
Or you can fleece the plants after you put them in but that can work out expensive.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 19:52:00 »
gently carefully so far this season for me but now lettuce cabbage beetroot and flowers are all out 24/7
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 19:54:10 »
Its not just a frost to be wary of, the cold (easterly) wind causes dessication  and shelter by poly cloches or similar will help. ts still too early here (in N E Hampshire) for any of the curcubits, toms and runner or french beans, unless you are fortunate with a polytunnel. Looking forward to the warmer spell  forcast due around may !0th.... will it last?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 21:08:24 »
I feel it's a very odd year for hardening off, I've never had so many plants still go outside as I have this year. Sunflowers are proving to be a challenge, the long stems don't fare well in winds or cold weather so I haven't dared to put them outside at all yet. Brassicas and alliums are out, but legumes, squash, courgettes and tomatoes are still in a barely heated greenhouse, along with quite a few half hardy flowers.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:31:53 »
Broccoli, chard and spinach out in their pots 24/7 now, too cold and windy to put in the soil yet though. I'm still in and out daily with kale and lettuces, I put a tray of cabbage out one morning and they were dead by teatime! No cabbage this year.....
It's being a shocking season for really bad night frosts, night after night, I've got tender stuff in the conservatory still, daren't risk overnight in the greenhouse even with bubble wrap, I suppose we'll catch up, we usually do!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 10:23:30 »

It's being a shocking season for really bad night frosts, night after night, I've got tender stuff in the conservatory still, daren't risk overnight in the greenhouse even with bubble wrap, I suppose we'll catch up, we usually do!

Small,
You are very wise not to put them into the greenhouse yet if you can avoid it.  Unfortunately I have a conservatory full of follow-on stuff and had to put some into the greenhouse - and have a few plants that are touch and go with slight frost burn.  Grrrr.  Never known such a difficult year either.  :wave:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 12:08:13 »
We've been having snow showers all week, and the apples haven't budded yet. I wouldn't think of hardening anything off while the weather thinks it's still early March!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 15:25:14 »
planted out summer cabbage and psb today its been outside for 2 weeks now so should be nice and  tough                           greyhound, express golden acre primo 2 and a early savoy it took an age today nearly 6 hrs of hard plotting having a sit down now and a nice cup of tea

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 17:27:08 »
Thanks for all the replies. Of course the weather has now improved dramatically so I have been able to start hardening off! I am still keeping an eye (the wind really got up this afternoon so I brought them in sharpish). Cant wait to start putting things into the lottie but the next battle is with the army of slugs that are everywhere!
Happy bank holidays!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 17:37:51 »
my blackcurrant in fine flower so its been ok here on the sunshine coast :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 18:12:35 »
Thanks for all the replies. Of course the weather has now improved dramatically so I have been able to start hardening off! I am still keeping an eye (the wind really got up this afternoon so I brought them in sharpish). Cant wait to start putting things into the lottie but the next battle is with the army of slugs that are everywhere!
Happy bank holidays!

Why not start with a pre-emptive strike, bit of shock & awe! Put your pellets out before your plants and stand some chance of winning.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 18:38:40 »
I think I planted my seed potatoes too early and now the frost has got them even though they were covered in nets I hope that it does not effect the yield too much I will not be so eager next year
Barnsley S Yorks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal