Author Topic: Pond  (Read 4724 times)

takin a leek

• Not So New ...
Pond
« on: April 27, 2016, 12:33:57 »
Hi there.

My allotment is a corner plot and the previous owners had dug a small pond adjacent to it. Not technically on the plot but within a boundary hedge. However it has now become overgrown with bramble and neglected.(There is also the biggest Giant Hogweed I have ever seen growing beside it!) I want it to benefit the local wildlife as much as possible. Especially the frogs as they very useful in the war on slugs! Should I just leave it to Nature or actively manage it to encourage wildlife ? Also if the best thing would be to manage it are there any good online resources or books anyone could recommend?

Thanks,

Dan.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Re: Pond
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 13:24:37 »
Get rid of the hogweed, it spreads like mad and is a deep rooted nuisance in a small space.  If it really is giant hogweed rather than just a large hogweed plant (which can be pretty big) use gloves as the sap is not a nice thing to get in contact with your skin. Brambles probably not great on an allotment either.

If you do a search on wildlife ponds you should get some good ideas for plants.  Try http://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/gardening/wildlife/how-to-make-a-wildlife-pond.aspx#

takin a leek

• Not So New ...
Re: Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:46:50 »
Thanks Redalder.Think I'll have to get the gloves and secateurs out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal