Author Topic: Wigwams for or against  (Read 16694 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Re: Wigwams for or against
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 21:46:13 »
Ancellsfarmer  ---  quote  -- Be the first to do a X wigwam, ie a round  bunch of "x"s, with a tightly tied waist.

I might just give that a go ! I have the traditional A frame up for my Runnerbeans . I have done a wigwam for some lighter french beans and a few sweetpeas , but  mine always end up lopsided , nothing worse than a wonky wigwam ! 
Trespassers will be composted !

small

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 09:37:28 »
Wigwams look so much nicer but I don't think you get the best crop with them. I (I mean OH, really) do 4x4 x-frames, he braces them each side with a diagonal, and every year I determine not to let the crop get too top-heavy. Maybe this is the year I will achieve that.....

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 10:06:01 »
The consensus is that wigwams are not entirely suitable for tall runnerbeans. 

With climbing French beans there are two types.  The 8 foot or higher rampant bean or the far more pedestrian 5-6 foot type.  Unfortunately they are all lumped into one category with the term Climbing French Bean.  For the 5 footers a wigwam is entirely suitable, for the tall types not so much.  Unless the beans are topped when they reach to top of the wigwam.  For most types this encourages side shoots with later follow-on crops.  This sort of management makes it possible to grow the tallest varieties on wigwams too. 

x-wigwams are a good idea, thank you  :sunny:

:wave:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:08:46 by galina »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 18:55:45 »
What's the difference between a teepee and a wigwam
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

rollingrock

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 19:49:33 »
the answer to your question can be found in this thread and someone posted pictures as well
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,70756.0.html

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 20:22:51 »
That didn't help a lot ,I am more confused now.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 20:59:02 »
I think what we call a wigwam is really a teepee.

Just don't try growing them up a teegee.

On A frames, unless you are using your old iron swing, you need some diagonals to give it strength. Remember, triangles can't be pushed out of shape.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 14:04:41 »
wigwams (teepees for jeannie) are up have the full complement now A frame M frame and wigwam now all i need is warm weather to plant them out
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 14:47:33 »
My that soil is sandy I think I will fetch the grandkids down with their buckets and Spades. :sunny:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 15:22:18 »
I call mine wigwams!!!!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 15:46:52 »
My that soil is sandy I think I will fetch the grandkids down with their buckets and Spades. :sunny:
your welcome anytime tg yes it warms up quick and that bed had 15 barrow loads of manure in the autumn watering via a hand pump in the summer is a nightmare

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 19:17:44 »
I call mine wigwams!!!!
sorry oh well the pic helps so you all know what i mean

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 19:50:44 »
I might live over in North America but trust me I am as Yorkshire as they come..ee by gum

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 16:59:04 »
I believe a wigwam technically has a domed roof.  Somehow we call a tepee a wigwam, but then the Indians did not grow their beans up canes they used corn plants. 

So rightly or wrongly we call a triangular arrangement of canes to grow beans up a wigwam.  Language evolves and over here is has evolved slightly differently. 

It is so nice that computer and phone software developer had finally listened to our complaints and we can now choose English English as opposed to American English. 

So on here we mostly stick to British English but cope with American English as best we can.  In the meantime I am off for a fortnights holiday next week, I like to get away at least twice a year.  This morning I went to the chemist, and in a while I am going to change my trousers, put on my Welly Boots and take a turn round the garden and I will pop to the loo on the way out.  Then I might have a jacket potato and some fried aubergine with courgettes and follow that with a packet of crisps.  And yes I am putting up my wigwams on my allotment.  I might take a torch in case it gets dark.

Though for some reason we are now called United Kingdom.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 17:59:28 »
Thanks for the un-intended laugh Digeroo

When I first  scanned my eye over you reply I had a vision of you putting your trousers and wellies on in the chemists then nipping to the loo.

Then you went on to say that you were going to put up your wigwam ready for you having a baked potato on your holidays.

...and that is after you writing it all out in UK  English.

Then I read it again more intently and got your meaning. :drunken_smilie:...I get worse!

Have a good holiday!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 20:09:05 »
I normally used rows of beans on the A frame design but the way they took the light from the rest of the beds was difficult and that patch of bare earth underneath used to annoy the hell out of me (I can't stand to see wasted space on the allotment especially when beans are in and space is at a premium)

... so last year I tried something different.  I use permanent beds with paths in-between and this time I placed two rows of upright bamboo canes either side of the path and joined them together at the top using some left over blue water plastic pipe and secured them together with wire and some structural horizontal bamboo canes which took no longer to put up than a classic A frame.

The result is that the beans lean away from the beds freeing up the light, the only totally shaded area is the path which becomes a tunnel as the beans grow ... and picking them is a doddle because they hang down over the path.  I'm definitely doing it again this year.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 13:45:05 »
today started to put the wind break around my a frame to keep the young beans safe from which can be a devastating wind when they are young

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 07:00:15 »
Actually Teegee I did intend a laugh.  I was trying to use as many words where we use a different one.   

Many thanks for reminding me of the windbreak johnny last year those with protection did so much better.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 21:19:19 »
OK bean growers, this is a first for me. I am wanting to grow 2 types of beans and I only have a fence for 1..the other has to go in a pot. I have some huge pots so I thought I would put canes in the sides where I plant the beans then gather them up at the top. Tepee maybe LOL..anyway my problem is as the pots are tapered down how do the canes stay in, I can only get them in say 6 inches before they hit the slope then when I tie them at the top they are trying to pull towards the middle at the bottom. I am getting very frustrated right now and am on the point of tossing the rotten tee pee thing, pots, canes and plants...ggrrhhh

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 22:15:58 »
Looks like the perfect situation for an X frame - tie them together halfway / two thirds of the way up. You may need a cane down the middle to keep it stable as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal