Author Topic: Wigwams for or against  (Read 16682 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Wigwams for or against
« on: April 26, 2016, 22:08:49 »
We are getting towards the end of April and on my allotment field, many plots are putting up frames made of canes, ready ( in a few weeks ) for runner beans.

Now some of these are novel constructions, some are A frames and some are wigwams. But it is this final group that puzzles me. I fully appreciate that wigwams make a very strong and stable structure, but I have never been a fan.

It always seems to me that when fully grown there may be anywhere between 6 and 12 beans all competing for light and space at the top in an area not much bigger than a dinner plate. Isn't this wasting sunlight? Also at the base they do not seem to have a smaller "footprint" and take up roughly as much room as an A frame. So I have always considered them an inferior approach.

But I am always open to other views so am wondering, is  there something I am missing about this? Perhaps they have some merit I have not thought about. Do wigwams  have some hidden advantage or should I stay true to my preferred A frames?

Cheers

Beersmith
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Wigwams for or against
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 23:35:48 »
I find wigwams best for decorative stuff, or for seed I'm bulking up... but trying to pick beans regularly from them is a nightmare.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:52:51 »
Aesthetically I like the look of them on the plot, particularly when they are strung with coloured twine. But agree, I find beans too rampant for this set up, they always end up dangling over the top, peas fare better if not too tall. I like smaller wigwams for small squash, that works well!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 06:08:48 »
I grow small quantities of different varieties, so they work well for me. With each one a different variety. Also IMO wigwams don't effect things around them too much - light wise etc. where as I would struggle with a screen.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 13:40:46 »
In my wigwams, the poles do not meet at the top but are strung to be almost upright, leaning towards each other, braced by string, to avoid too much congestion. I find making a long row for climbing beans too much work - wigwams are easier, and can be put up one by one as the beans become ready to plant out.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 14:28:16 »
i use wigwams for french beans and a frame for runners and outward frame for show beans just always have smaller french beans seem to fit better in wigwams hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 17:15:44 »
Has anyone done their A frames more of a X ?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 18:21:48 »
We always do the *x* frame. Which looks something like the bottom diagram.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 18:24:13 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 19:36:12 »
We always do the *x* frame. Which looks something like the bottom diagram.

Be the first to do a X wigwam, ie a round  bunch of "x"s, with a tightly tied waist. Use coppiced hazel poles whenever possible. Not only does this keep the hazel coppices in business, good for nature, but the rough bark offers a much better grip for your beans than shiny bamboo imported from China.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 22:25:13 »
Thanks for the responses.

Very thought provoking, and always something new to learn!

Cheers

Beersmith
Not mad, just out to mulch!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 00:02:57 »
ancellsfarmer - good idea :icon_thumleft: I grow my beans in two 60cm dia. tubs, six plants on a wigwam in each tub. One is already prepared but I think I shall try an x-wigwam for the second tub which should make it easier to harvest the beans. It will probably mean tying them in initially to the upper part of the X at the waist to encourage direction of growth - but no biggie for six plants.

We shall see!

Tricia :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 09:28:08 »
Wigwams for me, I can dot them around where ever I want. I find that they always grow and produce far more beans for me and the street I'm not worried about the clumping at the top.  I have enough trouble getting rid of them without trying to increase the yield.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 13:40:40 »
made mine today here they are

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 13:42:52 »
and this a frame wigwams next week my pics are too big to post 2 at a time so it takes two posts quite annoying really

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 13:56:28 »
This is how I erect my frame:

The A frame is the old garden swing my kids had when they were little so it is quite old now considering I have teenage grandkids.

I found on my exposed plot I had to have something with a bit of strength to it, I have seen many beans frames blown away/ down over the years that were not quite up to taking the strength of the wind.

For added strength I drive a pin into the soil at the centre point between the two frames and attach two wire guys from the top of the frames and tie them to the pin.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 18:21:39 »
We use A frames for runners and climbing French but wigwams for borlotti beans.

Borlotti bean picking (for the beans that is - not for the pods) is late in the season when the foliage is starting to die down so there are no beans that are hiding really. Also, we can scatter the wigwams around where there is space.

rollingrock

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 20:45:47 »
i grew beans up a teepee but never a wigwam. I grew tomatoes in an a fame last year. 

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 14:51:49 »
I love the look of a teepee, but I tend to use munty frames now along the northern edge of my plot, strung with knotted polytwine. I had squashes & tomatilloes roaming underneath last year which worked well.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 16:04:41 »
Things are very windy here, so the wigwam style seems to survive better.  I have seen a number of complete rows of beans blown over and they are very difficult to get back up.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 21:14:17 »
I can see the logic of the lower x wigwams, but I'm so clumsy I'd probably take an eye out at some point......I use snail shells on the ends of my canes to avoid  accidents with low canes. I have even used a rectangular cube shape of lashed together canes for climbing veg before, that worked well...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal