Author Topic: Question for Tee Gee  (Read 2945 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Question for Tee Gee
« on: April 24, 2016, 19:31:10 »
 Tee Gee, my brassica guru.

I am planting a mini garden. I have Igloo cauli . Primero red cabbage ,Minicole  round cabbage, Casserta savoy , all these are varieties specificall bred for mini veggies how tight do you think I could plant these as I am only aiming for very small veggies.

I also have a broccoli Kabuki and a Brussel  Early Half Tall which is half the height of regular ones

I keep seeing comments  like can be densely planted but nowhere I have found what dense means

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Question for Tee Gee
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 20:25:34 »
Well jeannine thanks for the confidence you have in me.

Well for starters apart from Minicole I have never come across the varieties you list, but I have had a look online and noticed that most of them are relatively fast growing and the heads are around 150m (6") in diameter.

So based on these diameters and the fact that that you are placing them in a mini garden I would do the following.

I would set the garden out with a 200mm(8") grid  a bit like a draught board.

Then I would decide which varieties are going to mature first.

For example I would say the sprouts and savoys are going to mature last so I would grow these on progressively in pots say 3"then on to 6"

Then I would imagine my grid had black and white squares like a draught board.

So I would select the fastest growing varieties and place them in one of the colours, let's say the black squares.then the next maturing varieties in the other colour i.e.the white squares.

Then when I had harvested the earliest variety I would remove the rootball and replace them with the varieties sitting in the pots.( adding a bit of fertiliser when planting the replacement plants)

As I see it you should get continuity of cropping with the sprouts and savoys eventually getting the whole bed to themselves at the end of process.

I have purposely not considered numbers because I do not know the size of the bed  so I will leave that for you to calculate.

I have stated 8" centres so when you measure your mini bed do not go less than this  so err on slightly larger squares rather than on smaller squares when you set out your grid

Having said that if I have confused you get back to me with any queries you have.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 06:13:39 »
Tee gee . thank you so much I wish you were closer, I would love to have tea with you and pick you brains still more..I would even bring the choccy cake. Your answers are always either by personal experience or sound common sense and I like that, when you get home tell your wife she is a lucky lass and you have a Canadian fan

:toothy10: Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 18:21:44 »
Having tea! ...that's sounds nice, would have to say I am not very fond of chocolate cake, fruit cake is more my scene!

Oops That last comment leaves me wide  open to some ribbing  :coffee2:

Have you managed to form a plan/ layout?

By the way something I thought of after I hit the send button,regarding growing some plants in temporary pots. I only suggested this to increase the number of plants you could grow in your mini bed, you could skip this process if you like and you could put some or all of your varieties in from the outset.  :thumbsup:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 20:15:12 »
ive a question for teegee whats your stance on europe
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 20:40:10 »
Tee Gee. I am working on a grid with veggie name in it. I am also filling pots and very large containers, the Rubbermaid totes, I have several as large as 4feet x30 inches x 24 deep so they will grow quite a bit. I was intending growing some on it 1 gallon pots so they could go in later but am concerned that some things don't like that..anyway I will try, I am keeping lots of notes as this experiment could prove very useful later.

Chrissy cake is in my fridge as we speak, I always make my own.  Go on I dare you, it is only just over 5000 miles.

XX Jeannine

Europe isn't that the place that has the funny money!!!! :blob7:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 21:39:02 »
Is this an open invitation to ask Tee Gee questions? :P If so, I want to ask one!

Tee Gee, if you were only allowed to grow three different vegetables, what would you choose and why?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 21:55:03 »
Looks like you have got it under control Jeannine regarding the other.....

Go on I dare you, it is only just over 5000 miles.

I don't think my free bus pass would let me travel that far, but that Christmas cake sounds tempting! :wave: :coffee2:

Re johnnies & silver leafs questions let me think about it and I will get back to you. :glasses9:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 23:09:17 »
ive a question for teegee whats your stance on europe

I don't usually discuss politics but as this is an important issue I will make an exception!

As it stands at the moment I'm for OUT

Reason: All I seem to hear is we will be worse off, but this is coming from the people who have got it now,that is; those on the gravy train e.g. All tHe MEP's as there would be no need for them, then there are all the failed UK politicians on the various EU committees, the Kinnock family for example they would all struggle more than Joe public because they have not had to suffer all the austerity measures we have.

Then there are the business tycoons who earn millions who are also on the gravy train with the deals they have made with their counterparts in Europe as this would be curtailed, so I can understand their reasons for stopping in.

If they are good as they make themselves to be and why they pay themselves the big bucks then they will have to prove if we come out, and to me I don't think some of them will when you consider in the past they got big bonuses and handouts for failing, as that would have to stop.

Then there are the foreigners!

The Germans who some would say control the Eu have tried to take this country twice before and failed so if we stay in they will get us on a plate.

The French kept us out in our early attempts to gain entry and I guess they will not agree to let us negotiate special terms for staying in now, particularly now that we are subsidising their farmers.

The Italians will always stick with the ones that seem to be winning, and they know deep down it is not us!...so no change there!

Then when you consider all the smaller countries that want on the gravy train I think they will bankrupt the Euro countries......look at Greece!

We fought in Europe twice and we were down but got up again each time, if coming out means we will be on hard times again I have no worries because we will get up again and do it all again.

It will just be another day at the mill / Office for the working classes just like it has been for the last number of years that we have been in recession.......we have been practicing for such an event.

.....and who know all these rules that have banned things from us gardeners might be resurrected, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Does that answer your question Johhny?

Silver leaf I will have to get back to you as your question is a lot harder to answer than Johnnies!

Ps if this thread is going to develop as I think it will, I think someone should open another thread in the shed rather than hijacking Jeannine's thread, after all she is in Canada and this might not be of particularly interest her!

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 23:31:13 »
I agree with TeeGee, especially about the garden chemicals.

The latest example being that the eu licence for glyphosate expires in june and the green lobby want to ban it claiming it is carcinogenic. (there is no evidence for this but hey, who needs evidence when you have an ideology to maintain) :happy7:

Of course farmers, who use gallons on their fields will be exempt from such a ban.

You would almost think it is being made harder and harder for gardeners to grow their own so they fail and have to buy the tasteless supermarket produce of the big agri businesses. Who benefits? No doubt the "fat cats" in TeeGee's description. :icon_cheers:

Not to mention the loss of UK sovereignty and democracy to the unelected commission. :BangHead:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 23:35:01 by ed dibbles »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 23:39:08 »
Don't worry about me Tee Gee, I am very not political and I can find my info. I think I pretty much got what I wanted anyway.

I don't know much about the situation re the Eu but I didn't like what they did to the seeds and I don't know why they are talking about coming out. It does come up in the news over here, and usually ends up with someone with a US accent saying it won't happen. Of course right now our news is all full of the US Presidency stuff and we hear a lot about a guy called Trump, I am sure you get him over there too, he seems to have some very strange ideas but when I consider that the popular Yorkshire word my Dad used for passing wind was Trump ..nuff said.

Have fun with your politics!!

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal