Author Topic: Everlasting Onions ( not Welsh onions)  (Read 11224 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Everlasting Onions ( not Welsh onions)
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:08 »
Hi folks
Those of you who grow these...what spacing do you use and have you tried in containers?
Thanks
Jackie

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Re: Everlasting Onions ( not Welsh onions)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 14:03:25 »
I plant mine 20-30cm apart splitting/moving every three years. I grew them once in a wall planter and they were fine on the whole but did suffer in winter as it was in a damp shady planter.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 20:55:24 »
Pendesenca, thanks for that.
Jackie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 20:01:25 »
I plant mine a foot apart and let the clumps develop. They multiply like mad!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:06:30 »
Thanks Robert :)

We eat a lot of onions, so that is welcome news!
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:29:03 »
Robert could you please tell mw what the exact name is of the variety you have and can they be started by seed, also how big does the bulb get Thank yiu Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 12:51:46 »
Robert could you please tell mw what the exact name is of the variety you have and can they be started by seed, also how big does the bulb get Thank yiu Jeannine

Sorry I am not Robert but in answer to your other question Allium cepa puratile, they don't flower to set any seed and it doesn't form much of a bulb it is used like spring onions where you pull off what you want and leave the rest to grow and multiply. Hope this helps

http://www.pennardplants.com/search.php?pg=1&stext=everlasting&sprice=&stype=&scat=

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 14:53:34 »
i was given a "bunch" two years ago now i have a full row thats 7" wide and 9ft long indeed they are just like spring onions we use them at christmas chopped in homemade coleslaw  they really are trouble free no white rot onion fly just small lovely onions hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 15:36:42 »
Thanks for this. I'm so pleased I've got these as the amount of onions and Chives we go through is scary :)
Jackie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 18:24:46 »
What I have is the non-flowering (normally) everlasting onion. It's very much like Welsh Onion, but smaller, and doesn't flower. It does flower occasionally, and someone sent me a seedhead last year which I believe to be from the same plant. I got one plant form the seeds I planted then, put the rest in this year, and have half a dozen seedlings from that. I should know for sure whether it's the same plant by the end of this season.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:02:45 »

I absolutely expected Richter's Herbs to stock these in Canada, but it seems not, or at least not this year.  You start from plants which multiply, not from seeds.  :wave:

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:33 »
 I have two types of onions which seems to be ever lasting   . One which  sets seeds(  welsh ) and the other I think is a walking onion which sets little bulblets then bend over and those root  is the latter one a tree onion or is that a different onion again  ?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 10:05:38 »
Brownthumb2  tree onion is just another name for Walking Onion or Catawissa onion.  :wave:

I have two types of onions which seems to be ever lasting   . One which  sets seeds(  welsh ) and the other I think is a walking onion which sets little bulblets then bend over and those root  is the latter one a tree onion or is that a different onion again  ?

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 23:23:54 »
 Oh thanks for that ,Thought it might have been the same  onion

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 06:02:26 »
Other names for tree onions include egyptian onions and topsetting onions

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal