Author Topic: Micro Tomatoes  (Read 18241 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Micro Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 09:24:58 »
Jeannine, I still haven't posted the seeds I got for you, they are hopefully in the post tomorrow. Things have been all a bit difficult recently since my aunt fell...But if you would like to skip a year while you wait for your crosses/seeds I can add in some F1 seeds you might like to grow. I'll have a look I might even have some F2's but I'm not sure.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 05:17:50 »
Jay, I am so sorry I thought I had answered this, how rude of me.

I am sorry to hear about your aunt, I do hope she is mending quickly.

Don't you even think about posting anything more to me, just look after yourself and your family.

I came on the topic to go whheeee. I have small green tomatoes on a couple of my babies I think Micro Tina for sure and ------'oh eck I forget, would have to go and look.

Anyway you take care..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 09:45:08 »
Hi all. My Red Robin are starting to flower :)
What final/eventual size pot do you use with your micros.
Here says 8 inch? Is that height of pot...seems big?
Jackie

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 10:04:27 »

Yes, but tomatoes do have long roots, doesn't have to be a wide pot.  :wave:

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 10:27:29 »
Thanks Galina :) Another site said keep small 9cm for fruiting but  that seemed too small :)

My 5 l pots are
Measurements are 22.5cm wide at the top.
17.5cm wide at the bottom.
17.5cm deep.

So is the 7.5 the charm at Measurements are 26cm wide at the top.
20cm wide at the bottom. and 20 cm deep?
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 21:53:13 »
I have fruit on several now, I think I left it a bit late to  pollinate them so I am going to take a few cuttings and do it later, the trouble is I will have to pick something that is growing in the greenhouse to choose and most of the 20 or so varieties I am growing  have  really big fruits, Micro Gemma/Mega Marv or Micro Tina , Rachel Sebastian just doesn't sound right . I have Ildi in there also Sungoldand Tigerella. I do have Virginia Sweets which is a  very pretty  bi color but it is also very big. I wonder if the garden center has anything. I found a place tucked away a few weeks ago that I never went to usually and was surprised to see they had quite a few heirloom tomatoes.  I guess I could just play. I do have 1 wild Cheesemani.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 07:27:24 »
I should think the 5l pots are fine.  There are pots that roses come in which are narrower and deep.  In the end it probably does not matter all that much, unless you are striving for perfection.  :wave:

Thanks Galina :) Another site said keep small 9cm for fruiting but  that seemed too small :)

My 5 l pots are
17.5cm deep.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 08:11:34 »
Thanks. I tend to overthink :)

They are growing nice and strong.So far it's only them, Irish Gardeners Delight and Garden Gem with flower.
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 08:39:49 »

My 5 l pots are
17.5cm deep.

I quite often find pot sizing confusing, but generally litre sizing works for me plus I can work out how much compost I'll need! For the very smallest micro tomatoes I use 1 litre pots and then gradually increase I'd have thought a 2-3 litre pot for Red Robin would be fine, though if you already have them in a 5 litre that would work well too. I guess i go on compromise of space to fit lots in! The 18- 24" variety plants need at least a 5 litre pot.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:52 »
I have fruit on several now, I think I left it a bit late to  pollinate them so I am going to take a few cuttings and do it later, the trouble is I will have to pick something that is growing in the greenhouse to choose and most of the 20 or so varieties I am growing  have  really big fruits, Micro Gemma/Mega Marv or Micro Tina , Rachel Sebastian just doesn't sound right . I have Ildi in there also Sungoldand Tigerella. I do have Virginia Sweets which is a  very pretty  bi color but it is also very big. I wonder if the garden center has anything. I found a place tucked away a few weeks ago that I never went to usually and was surprised to see they had quite a few heirloom tomatoes.  I guess I could just play. I do have 1 wild Cheesemani.

Micro Toms seem to self regulate the size of fruit from crosses, if you are looking at the tiny micros then fruit size is really limited by the size of plants, as the size of dwarf increases so too can the size of fruit. If you are looking to cross using Gemma or Tina, I find that they flower/fruit in waves and they should certainly produce more flushes for you. I like the sound of many of your potential crosses, you have excellent flavour choices which I can only think would improve the micros.

My choices would be from
Couer di Bue, Cowlicks Brandywine, Hoy, Opalka, Shirley o/p; for size taste and shape.

Ildi for multiflora and colour

Virginia Sweets sounds like it would make a lovely cross and think how pretty the fruits would be.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:37:49 by Jayb »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 16:57:51 »
i think i will start to put my outdoor toms out this week however the smallest variety i have is idle so not very micro :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 21:57:12 »
Jay, I have just been in the greenhouse, with a magnifying glass, the Tiny  Toes and Tiniest Toes are identical in every way.

I also looked at all my micros, none of them are very happy, they got a bit neglected for a while and left in tiny pots, they have fruited but look sad. All my greenhouse tomatoes which were in the final place s a while ago are doing great. I think the micros will pick up now they are planted out . I have flowers just starting on Hoy and Cowlicks, but not Virginia Sweets. As my micros are sad I am wondering if I may be better off to sow some more specifically to catch up with Virginia Sweets rather than wait for these sad one s to heal. If I did that I could pick just 1 variety of micro to play with and grow several plants. Right now I only have one o each variety

Please advise me, and advise re which one to choose would be great

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 08:40:25 »
i think i will start to put my outdoor toms out this week however the smallest variety i have is idle so not very micro :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
Is that your garden or allotment, either way it's looking good and lots to keep you busy planting out  :wave: Not sure of the variety idle but if it is anything like Ildi, you're right, it's no micro, it was a positive thug last time I grew it and needed twice the space I'd give it, nice though  :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 08:53:21 »
Jay, I have just been in the greenhouse, with a magnifying glass, the Tiny  Toes and Tiniest Toes are identical in every way.

I also looked at all my micros, none of them are very happy, they got a bit neglected for a while and left in tiny pots, they have fruited but look sad. All my greenhouse tomatoes which were in the final place s a while ago are doing great. I think the micros will pick up now they are planted out . I have flowers just starting on Hoy and Cowlicks, but not Virginia Sweets. As my micros are sad I am wondering if I may be better off to sow some more specifically to catch up with Virginia Sweets rather than wait for these sad one s to heal. If I did that I could pick just 1 variety of micro to play with and grow several plants. Right now I only have one o each variety

Please advise me, and advise re which one to choose would be great

How bizarre is that, are they hairy or hairless? I'll have to look through and find my pictures.

I would think that your existing micro plants would pick up and have another flush of flowers before newly sown plants start to flower, but if you think looking at the plants that they are beyond the point of recovering, go with sowing some fresh seed. I'm sure if you end up with any spare plants they will easily find a new home. If you are going to resow I'd just pick you favourite to use crossing, I don't think there is much between them.

Are you going to make some crosses with Tiny Toes? The flowers are a bit bigger to work with than Tina and co.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 09:25:51 »
Hi, no I am not doing anything with Tiny Toes this year I want to increase the seeds. I am going to pick just 2  tiny micro I red and I yellow and sow a good few then try to cross with something different on each plane     .I have been waiting up in the hope you answered as I was going to sow them before I went to bed.
// I guess I will use Micro Tina and Gemma or maybe one of the other yellow ones then I think these are the smallest red and yellow I have . I think they should be flowering when the bigger ones are still flowering later in the season, now I just have ti go ahead and do it. I would have used a  regular blue one for Dad if I had one but I gave all my blues to the church sale and forgot to keep one.

Well I am off to bed now, I will plant in the morning, my list of what I have is posted earlier up if you think of a better one I should use//Night Night  XX Jeannine

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 19:22:02 »
Red Robins now have green fruits :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2016, 08:47:55 »
 I got 2  fruit off my one Micro Gemma plant and I immediately planted the seeds now I have a pot full of shoots.Plus I sowed a good few of two others which are already potted on from earlier so I am getting ready. Chibbiko and the one called Helms something  . So that is three varieties for playing with. I shall use Virginia Sweets, for sure, gotta try Sungold,probably  Hoy after that I am  not sure. I might do a couple with a Tiny Toes.. Virginia's Sweet Tiny Toes sort of sound nice

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 16:41:54 »
Hope alls well with you Jeannine....thought of you today when eating fruit off Red Robin. Nice :)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal