Author Topic: New bees  (Read 4761 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
New bees
« on: April 02, 2016, 12:11:53 »
I was at the allotment this morning and the neighbour popped over and asked if I wanted 2 hives with bees. He's in his 80s and says he's cutting back on everything now and the hives have to go.

I quite like the idea but haven't a clue on keeping bees and to be honest don't even like honey. My allotment is also not that big, there is a bit of a wild corner where the hives could go though.

So I'm not sure what to do, like I say I fancy the idea but not convinced it's worth the hassle. Might not also be a good time of year to move hives - I've no idea.

So, what do you think?
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Re: New bees
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 12:25:12 »
If you don't like honey it would be a bit odd to take it on, but hey my Grandfather was a fisherman and worked on the lifeboats and couldn't swim so who am I to say what is odd  :tongue3: If you take them on I would suggest you cheekily ask would he mind mentoring you for a year  :happy7:

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 12:27:59 »
TBH if you are not keen on honey I would say no if there are other plot holders that might like the chance.

If you liked honey then there is plenty of help available from local bee keeper associations to get started in caring for them.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 17:53:33 »
Just a thought ,anyone on our site having bees has to have training and insurance!

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 23:15:20 »
Another thing to consider, is that they say a hive should only move less than 3 feet, or more than 3 miles. The problem is that the bees can navigate back to where the hive used to be if the hive is moved within the local area. That said, I've never tested the theory.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 11:03:56 »
Thanks for all the input, good points about the mentoring and moving the hives so little. Turns out my wife loves honey (I never knew).
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 10:46:29 »
Bees will reorientate themselves if they're left, but you do lose a lot in a move. If you move them this trime of year, shove a load of grass in the entrance, so they have to spend a day or so chewing their way through it. They'll come out gradually, and most will reorient themselves to the new site. Some will still wander off. If you join the local Beekeepers' Association that gets you insurance, and there may well be someone willing to act as a mentor.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal