Author Topic: Standard or bush for Gooseberries or white currants  (Read 4300 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Standard or bush for Gooseberries or white currants
« on: February 09, 2016, 21:00:27 »
I was thinking of buying this
http://www.rvroger.co.uk/index.php?linksource=stockitem&listgroupfile=fruitandnuttrees&parentpagefile=OpenGroundFruit&season=MAIN&webfilename=gooseberry_hinnonmaki_yellow

What are the advantages and disadvantages (apart from the cost) of buying a standard?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Standard or bush for Gooseberries or white currants
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:53:16 »
i  think standards are the only way to grow gooseberries they are easy to pick lift the branch and harvest                   pruning is very easy light prune each winter take out any crossing damaged stems shorten any upward facing stems to 2 buds  they do sell them in lidls every now and then hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:50:10 »
i  think standards are the only way to grow gooseberries they are easy to pick lift the branch and harvest                   pruning is very easy light prune each winter take out any crossing damaged stems shorten any upward facing stems to 2 buds  they do sell them in lidls every now and then hope this helps
That is very helpful, thank you so much.  I have one question why do few places sell them?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:51:27 »
That is very helpful, thank you so much.  I have one question why do few places sell them?

The main advantage to a short standard is bloodless access to the fruit (or at least some of it). Cordons are the real answer if that's #1 priority.

Tall standards don't make picking that much easier than short ones do (unless you really can't bend). The main advantage is to keep weeds out of the branches (especially the climbing couch I call 'lesser' - dunno its real name). The latter is not so important initially - until the weeds creep in.

Speaking for myself (a 'careful' northerner who hates paying for often illusory 'convenience') I'd always buy a bush and prune it to a standard myself - it's much cheaper (partly because of a wider choice, partly because of the work done by the nursery - also they may have to wait until the reduced plant has regrown to saleable size).

Personally I much prefer cordons - I'd just prune back to as many main shoots as are splayed apart (or can be) - aiming for a single, double, or at most a triple cordon - but definitely creating bare 'legs' too.

Pruning a bare rooted plant before planting will help it to settle in. Any unwanted stems or branches can be slipped into a deep spade-slit to root for next year.

If timing means you have to have a pot-grown one (at 3x the price) I'd be tempted to just prune the lower branches off at planting time, and leave it like that until you can take a crop from it - just before removing unwanted main stems or maybe a few more lower branches (again use as cuttings - but give them a little shade). Prune more towards a full standard or leggy cordon(s) in the following seasons.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 17:30:02 »
i think its very labour intensive to produce most shop bought standards are grafted on to flowering currant rootstocks which makes them easier to produce but takes longer than supplying a bush and a  corden takes alittle longer than a bush so there are generally dearer than a bush but not as expensive as a standard  in a nutshell your paying for the nursery mans time
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 22:03:21 »
I would not recommend standards if you have a windy or exposed site.  They can get broken off, and the wind can rock the roots around somewhat.  I find they do not appear to like having their roots exposed. 

There are some thornless ones, though have found they are somewhat shy when it comes to producing fruit.

I find the fruit drips down one side of the branches to holding the end up means you can pick without much problem.   I find Hinnomaki red in particular seems to grow the fruit clear of the thorns.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 00:57:25 »
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/gallery/3629-130715203051.jpeg

Here's a picture of my fruit in buckets that is in my gallery....the one on the far right is a gooseberry I grew from a cutting of as poundshop plant, I used the old metal buckets to be able to move them around. The other plants are pinkcurrants I moved from my other plot before I gave it up. I got great crops last year and just prune them back each year to keep the growth compact.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal