Author Topic: How to train gooseberries  (Read 4994 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
How to train gooseberries
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:40:55 »
I've seen some amazing pictures of things that look like gooseberry trees at a perfect height for picking - or lovely cordons with a single productive cane and I've been trying to achieve something similar for the past few years ... with not much success!

I propagated my own from cuttings and no matter what I do to try and prune them to form a nice "trunk" they always produce a huge amount of new side shoot growth from the bottom and all the way up the stems and don't seem to want to proliferate at the top.

Am I missing something?  Have I already gone irreversibly wrong?  Or should I just persist and try to force them to go the way I want them to?

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: How to train gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:00:31 »
A good guide on training gooseberries is on the RHS site

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=332
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 17:21:06 »
When taking hardwood cuttings try rubbing the buds that will be underground off, thorns permitting. This should prevent shoots growing from around the base. Leave two or three buds above for initial training.

The first shoots are vulnerable to snapping off with wind or some other mishap so probably better to let more than one shoot grow for the first year, reducing to one subsequently.

A cordon is probably easiest as one shoot grows, is extended each year and all side shoots are pruned to spurs located on the main stem or cordon. It may be an idea to summer prune the side shoots, perhaps to 8 inches (20cms), reducing the shoots back to inch stubs or spurs in winter, You can prune out poorly placed spurs as you do the winter prune. A columnar form may be more useful than an angled one.

A standard is more difficult as you need to get a shoot to grow to some height, say two and a half to three feet before forming a head. This form of training requires young shoots on the main leg to be removed as the season progresses commensurate with leaving enough growth to sustain the plant. Once the required height is reached, using summer and winter pruning try to get it to produce shoots for head forming. A long term project that will need a strong stake to support the plant.

Perhaps a combination of the two. Begin with cordon training and once the cordon is high enough prune out all the lower spurs to form a leg using higher spurs to form a head.

Hope this helps. I try to do espalier training on my gooseberry plants but I have to say they are more like flat faced bushes most of the time. :happy7:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 17:24:23 by ed dibbles »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 19:56:47 »
my profile pic is my standard gooseberry taken last summer from underneath the bush its around 4ft tall and 2ft across
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:41:10 »
It's a work of art Johnny!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 13:01:38 »
It's a work of art Johnny!
why thankyou squeezy john lets hope it produces the same this year

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 15:18:04 »
Well I'll see what I can salvage from these that have been in the ground 2 years!  As I say they have been pruned to try and get tall - but probably not as regularly as they should.  I've staked them up to try and form some kind of wiggly trunk and I've cut off all the branches under 3 foot high.  I'll see how that goes!  I wonder if I could espalier them to try as they're close to a fence line?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 15:24:41 »
Well I'll see what I can salvage from these that have been in the ground 2 years!  As I say they have been pruned to try and get tall - but probably not as regularly as they should.  I've staked them up to try and form some kind of wiggly trunk and I've cut off all the branches under 3 foot high.  I'll see how that goes!  I wonder if I could espalier them to try as they're close to a fence line?
yes squeezy you can espalier them just prune the same way as an apple espalier once you get comfortable with pruning the sky is the limit im trying an apple archway at the moment with 2 different sorts of apple it seems to be going ok at mo 3 years into it might take some pics of it this year  hope this helps

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal