Author Topic: Soft fruit supplier  (Read 3527 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Soft fruit supplier
« on: February 07, 2016, 16:18:17 »
I am looking to buy Joan J raspberries and some Gooseberry and White currant cordons, any recommendations (Google has not been my friend so far)

davholla

• Hectare
Re: Soft fruit supplier
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 20:36:04 »
Thanks for that, my main problem was finding cordons

Steve Oram

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 21:15:57 »
I've never seen gooseberry or currant cordons for sale. If you know someone with varieties you like, cuttings take really well. I stick them in damp sand with an inch of potting compost at the bottom and put the whole thing in a zip-up bag. Or just buy a bush and prune it to the shape you want.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:50:38 »
I've always had good plants from rv rogers of pickering

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 23:24:22 »
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/ are brilliant. Collecting blueberries and cranberry from them tomorrow and most of my soft fruit/apples/plums etc come from them.

Steve Oram

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 23:47:00 »
I read about cordon gooseberries being a popular form with commercial growers on the continent. Not sure how helpful this is...

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:04:50 »
Growing gooseberries as cordons is  a very good way of growing gooseberries. I used this method when I was I service as a private gardener. You do need to choose upright growing varieties .I could give full details of pruning if needed . There are several advantages included easy picking.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:07:40 »
Depends on where you are.

I stick blackcurrant cuttings straight into the ground and then try and keep them well watered.   Mulch them up to keep the rooting moist.  I try and choose a wet day for taking cutting.    I try to get at least six inches of the stem into the soil.   They seen to root from every node so the more the merrier.  Even twigs where the leaves have all fallen off still seem to be busy creating roots.    I thought they had died so I stuck in another beside, and now I have two right next to each other.   The leafless on simply grew some new small leaves.

If you are near Wisley they have some fantastic displays of cordoned soft fruit.  But even they do not sell cordoned plants.  Though they have 20% off at the moment.

I like this company always had good plants.  I tend to collect but they also do mailing.
http://www.bunkershillgardenshop.co.uk/

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 16:10:21 »
i think ive supplied most of the soft fruit on our site by giving away cuttings each year of blueberries  blackberries jostaberries  gooseberries black red and white currents logan berrys  tay berrys strawberrys  and even raspberrys lol :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal