Author Topic: Don't ask me.  (Read 3576 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Don't ask me.
« on: February 07, 2016, 16:13:34 »
Some people stopped and asked me what I thought of them planting some of  their potatoes that they would usually eat, as they had loads of shoots on them. They wanted to plant them now. I suggested they would be better off putting them in bags or buckets as they would most likely rot with the cold and wet ground. No we are going to plant them in the garden, ok then, but you might just as well sh!t in your best hat. Oh you're a bloody know all then, expert gardener. eh,  just cos you have an allotment.......   I walked away. Why ask if you don't like the answer.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Don't ask me.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 16:26:55 »
Tell me about it!

Over the years I have met a few people like this.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 17:24:44 »
there are a few of these people on our site lol :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 18:09:41 »
"They" say there's one in every village. I say there seem to be hundreds!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 20:38:18 »
Some people stopped and asked me what I thought of them planting some of  their potatoes that they would usually eat, as they had loads of shoots on them. They wanted to plant them now. I suggested they would be better off putting them in bags or buckets as they would most likely rot with the cold and wet ground. No we are going to plant them in the garden, ok then, but you might just as well sh!t in your best hat. Oh you're a bloody know all then, expert gardener. eh,  just cos you have an allotment.......   I walked away. Why ask if you don't like the answer.
Could have told them that those "were the leaf shoots, ", "but you need to get the root shoots on first, otherwise they will fall over",  "and grow upside down" !
xx
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 13:44:58 »
We had this new bloke start an allotment early 2014, he put runner beans in that were straggly so were well up the sticks in half way through March.
It is a friendly site and we want people to succeed so quite a few people including me said it's a bit early and maybe protect them.
Did he crow when he got away with it !!and went on to win beginner of the site.  A mate of his started last year, he was cocky as well, and tried it as well but when they completely disappeared blamed someone thieving them until someone pointed out a few black shrivelled leaves.
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 15:46:49 »
I have daffodils in my front garden and loads of people used to ask how I got the flowers so big.  And I said I fed them.  I cannot remember how many people told me that you do not need to feed daffodils.   As you say why ask a question if you are going to reject the answer.

I do not give people advise down at the allotments unless they ask for it.  Though I have introduced quite a few people to hoes.   I do not like seeing people on their knees prickling out weeds individually.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal