Author Topic: Wonky Veg  (Read 4013 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Wonky Veg
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:13:41 »
You really have to laugh, don't you. Asda are using 'wonky veg' as a selling point for about a dozen veg in a box for £3.50, they say it is a solution to wasted crops. I would say their usual offerings are the wonky ones, grown and sorted to a regular tasteless shape and anything that does not fit 5 to a packet discarded. Who are they kidding, not me. We will be trend setters now with forked carrots, nobbly potatoes and rude tomatoes being displayed in and admired in our kitchens. Master chefs will be pestering us so they can use them to serve the hipsters in fancy restaurants. There will be another rush for allotments when they find out they can grow their own. I already have a row of parsnips waiting to be auctioned after I grew them in freshly manured ground.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Wonky Veg
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:12:37 »
I think it is generally a good thing especially if it is cheaper than "standard veg".  Someone posted some pics on facebook and there was lots of stuff in the box - certainly more than 12 items

Not everyone can grow their own veg and if it means farmers shifting stock that would go to compost then I am all for it

This lot doesnt seem bad for £3.50 - Lots of onion and carrots though!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 16:18:06 »
Yes it is a good idea. But I my beef is  they are basking in the glory of saving waste, when it is them that causes it by only selecting what is in their opinion  suitable for selling.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 18:14:43 »
Agree with you Ace, it's a situation the supermarkets have created themselves, so it does seem a little cheeky to then promote selling less than perfect veg and profit from that as well. However, it's clearly better than bring rejected and sent to landfill.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 17:40:38 »
Have to admit I bought some "wonky carrots" from Morrisons the other day- 40p for a kilo. If it helps the farmers get something for their less than perfect veg, why not?

picman

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:08:28 »
Seems a lot of cardboard box... be interested in actual weight / £  , looks expensive  but good if not new idea.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:32:00 »
I like the idea, it's barmy to dump good veg just because of imperfect looks. It seems to be a fair selection for £3.50, though as rightly said the only reason they are able to promote it as such is the fault of supermarkets in the first place. I hope the grower is actually earning something out of this not just reducing their loss.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:18:00 »
I do think that consumers, as a whole, have to share a little of the blame.  Most people, if they have a choice and it is the same price, will buy the best looking veg or at least ignore the worse looking ones.  If you are picking a few carrots out then most folks will pass over the odd looking, stumpy or split ones and buy the straight unblemished ones.  If the supermarkets are left with unsold produce then over time they are going to introduce more stringent rules on what they will accept.  Those of us that grow our own are used to eating less than prefect veg and understand that they taste the same, if not better. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal