Author Topic: Seed storage solutions?  (Read 10238 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Seed storage solutions?
« on: January 30, 2016, 15:24:57 »
What do people use for storing their seeds from year to year? I'm still using an old biscuit tin, but it's a PITA to find exactly what you want, and I'd like something a bit more organised - with dividers so that I can put seeds of one type (eg all the cabbages) in one compartment.

I'm thinking that one or two members here - TeeGee, I'm looking at you! - have something rather like this: http://benvironment.org.uk/post/9495759697/kewseedbank, what do other people use?

All idea welcomed!

Thanks,

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Seed storage solutions?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 15:34:28 »
its 2 shortbread tins and a posh tuck box thingy my daughter bought me last christmas i do however rotate seeds from tuck box to tin number1 then tin number2 after tin 2 its the bin open or not
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 16:32:31 »
Sorry Gray this is how I do it;

Beans and peas in the back one and seed packets and film containers placed in the front one each in sowing order.

The simplest way I find for sorting them  is by using a MS Data base.

I enter the genus in the first column of the chart (see below) initially in any order then I fill in the other data in the relative columns then when I have done this I filter the sowing date column from earliest to latest sowing dates'

Next I print off a copy which I put on a clip board that I hang up in my greenhouse,sometimes I put copy in my storage tin in case I need to refer to it when I am not near my greenhouse.

Next I lay my seeds out in alphabetical order to make the varieties easier to find as I place them in the filtered list.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Computers/Computers%20and%20Gardening.htm

So as you see my way is cheap but effective!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 17:43:23 »
Sorry Gray this is how I do it;

Oh, I'm all disappointed now!

Adrian

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 18:06:03 »
As I have rather a lot of seed I use three shoe boxes. One for vegetables, one for flowers to be raised in heat and one for direct sown flowers. They can be further divided using plastic sandwich type containers from the pound shop.

For example the veg shoe box is separated for brassicas, toms and peppers, roots and leaf, cucurbits etc. Home saved peas and beans are stored separately in large paper bags. This way I stand a good chance of finding any particular packet. At the end of the season the boxes normally have to be resorted since it is not unknown over the season for packets to find their way replaced wrongly. :happy7:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 18:08:11 »
ed you are the main man   :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 19:56:48 »
O K folks, Do you
a) test a few to sprout?
b) blend last years with new to stretch ?
c) plant, wait, curse, plant again (with new)
d) add the old to the bird feeders and start again?
e) Use up old to grow micro greens, and buy new?
f) Keep the large seeded, and scrap the tiny?
g)Carefully put away but buy new anyway once the magic catalogues arrive?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 20:55:42 »
Well, in answer to ancellsfarmer's question, I'm a B - though I do hang on to some stuff far too long, last year discovered lettuce seed I'd bought in 2007!

Storagewise I've used a similar system to Ed's, but would like to be more organised. I am considering finding a nice box and making my own dividers, which would mean I could custom-size them. But that means finding a box and time!

Adrian

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 21:28:25 »
I use old video cases. I used to have a large box where they were ordered into whas beds they were planted in, then into sowing month within that category but  I always had packs that slid underneath and I would then end up buying new thinking I ran out. I have done the video box system over a year and am so glad I got to pinch the idea off someone else   :happy7:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 21:37:48 »
I use old video cases. I used to have a large box where they were ordered into whas beds they were planted in, then into sowing month within that category but  I always had packs that slid underneath and I would then end up buying new thinking I ran out. I have done the video box system over a year and am so glad I got to pinch the idea off someone else   :happy7:
that sounds like a good idea i might venture up into the loft for a raiding party

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 23:06:57 »
I keep my seed packets in a large plastic storage box along with labels and markers and brown paper bags I keep for collecting seed.

I separate seeds into 4 old ice cream containers for fruits - toms, chillies, beans, squash etc; leaves - salads, cabbages, chard, herbs etc; roots - carrots, turnips, beets etc and flowers which are further divided into perennial, biennial and annual.

I don't do direct sowing any more so everything goes in seed trays or modules.

Don't do test sowings either.

I try to store seeds carefully, collect flower seeds from my garden but not edibles and somehow always am tempted to buy new seeds to try something new each year.
Obxx - Vendée France

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 23:10:15 »
 I use a plastic 3 tier stacking system from a cheapy shop each box is about 6 " wide   and about the same height..  one for vege ... one for flowers, and one for greenhouse and herbs with the first to be planted to the front   now been given the idea of making dividers

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 12:05:47 »
I have one of those storage boxes with England on.  It has poppers down the side to make the box but they have come undone and the seed packets are spilling out.  Not such a bright idea!!!
I have been trying to sort my by sowing month.
If I intent to repeat sow, then they get returned to the next month.
I do keep some seeds in the Freezer.   
Various own seeds are still on the windowsill where they were put to dry.
Certainly do not buy from the catalogues got most from various special offers. 

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 16:52:58 »
The simplest way I find for sorting them  is by using a MS Data base.

So as you see my way is cheap but effective!

I used to do something similar - other databases (including free ones) are available.

However I've always found analogue solutions more satisfying, simpler and often less fiddly (except for music).

I find it easier to sort the packets by first sowing month - upright in a long box (Jan at the front) and have a cursor card. When I've sown some seeds I either move the packet between me and the cursor (ie.done.) or move it to the month I'm going to repeat sow. Before I move the cursor into the next (ie. current) month I have to decide which packets to move into the next month (& in front of the cursor) for a second chance and which to give up on.

Really simple.

NB. I like using wineboxes re-sealed and split down the widest side lengthways so you can fit several in a drawer - they use drawer space more efficiently - almost to the back (I like emptying winebottles even more). A more durable solution is 5L olive oil cans (cheaper oils are available) with one of the smallest sides removed (and the edges folded over for safety).

Cheers.

PS. I use separate boxes for the really bulky seeds like peas and beans, but keep a pea card and a bean card moving about in the index as a virtual seed packet/reminder. I may use 2 cards for each in future (for runners and sugar/snap types).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 16:57:53 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal