Author Topic: potatoes in buckets this year  (Read 12050 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: potatoes in buckets this year
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 17:05:37 »
Where do you get the buckets? I grow TPS seedlings in big pots, and it works well, so I'm tempted to go for buckets.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 13:09:18 »
Where do you get the buckets? I grow TPS seedlings in big pots, and it works well, so I'm tempted to go for buckets.
a fellow allotmenteer get them for me at no charge from his work not sure what there original use is but i think they will hold a good 40 litres of compost it wont be cheap but worth a go 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 18:42:53 »
I tried bags a few years ago and the potatoes were very small.

Thinking of growing a couple again this year in bags with soil from the chicken run this time

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 18:45:35 »
I've been reading this with interest. I've never grown in buckets but might try a few just to experiment. What size of bucket is minimum?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 08:46:44 »
I've been reading this with interest. I've never grown in buckets but might try a few just to experiment. What size of bucket is minimum?
last year i got a kilo of 2.5 inch charlotte from 8ltr bags however i think 20ltr container is the smallest for decent sized spuds  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Gui Ross

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 15:03:08 »
I have been using potato bags this year to grow some Charlotte potatoes. You can get those bags for a quid each in discounters-99p stores etc. They are a really good investment as you can reuse them, I would disinfect them after every growing season to avoid transmission of blight and Co.

I've managed to grow a solid 16 pounds of potatoes with just a few bags and minimum of work- a bit of potato fertilizer, a bit of hilling every now and then, no watering at all the rain alone was enough. The plants died due to blight but I still had a nice 'no bother' harvest. ☺

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 14:12:20 »
What size are they? If they're big enough they'd be worth looking at, even if they don't last too long. I may be wrong on that last, of course!

Gui Ross

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 08:56:05 »
Depending on the brand they must be between 50 ltrs up to 70 ltds in some cases. Poundland sold them for £1, they are big enough to get a decent harvest. Hope it helps.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 09:24:36 »
Thanks. I had a look at the Poundland ones over the weekend. My experience of Poundland stuff has been mixed; some of it's terribly flimsy. But even if they only lasted one season they'd be OK for an experiment.

Gui Ross

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 09:43:47 »
Poundland can be tricky quality wise. Marshalls seeds does some bags, I have own 3 of them, they are quite strong but a bit more pricey.http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/potato-gro-sacks-x3-pid2036.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal