Author Topic: Anyone tried Wyevale compost?  (Read 9737 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Anyone tried Wyevale compost?
« on: January 26, 2016, 20:15:46 »
I see they've got their own brand of multi-purpose this year. Just wondered if anyone has tried it yet.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Anyone tried Wyevale compost?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 15:06:46 »
No replies to this, so thought I'd add that I bought a bag of their peat-free compost yesterday (usually get New Horizon but they didn't have any) just to see what it's like. Doesn't look great- lots of big lumps of wood etc. I've only sowed broad beans so far so they might be ok- will let you know!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 15:36:43 »
the best compost i can find in my area is durstons it has a growmore type stuff added very few bits twigs and the like 3 x 60 ltr for £ 10 do you have any of this stuff in your area 
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 20:23:17 »
Never heard of Durstons. I've enquired about stockists on their website - thanks for the tip.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 20:13:30 »
All composts vary bag to bag, I went to  a talk once in a garden centre and the speaker said " I like to use this compost as it has added sand" followed by " Oh I think they missed this bag out". We all use compost in different ways and I know one person who uses a certain compost with very good results but when I tried the same one I thought it was rubbish !!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 17:16:00 »
Hi Caroline. I've just opened a bag of Wyevales own brand. It looks and feels good. No twigs, glass or plastic found so far. I suspect it has a high peat content but nothing on the bag to indicate. Seedlings are just germinating, so fingers crossed.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 18:52:38 »
I've struggled to find New Horizon peat-free this year, which was why I got the Wyevale stuff (they used to stock NH) - finally got some today- 2x 50L for £10. Haven't opened it yet but it's been good in the past.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 19:47:41 »
No replies to this, so thought I'd add that I bought a bag of their peat-free compost yesterday (usually get New Horizon but they didn't have any) just to see what it's like. Doesn't look great- lots of big lumps of wood etc. I've only sowed broad beans so far so they might be ok- will let you know!
Noted that Morrisons have RICHMOOR MP compost 70ltr bags @£3.49, 3 for £9. A split bag revealed a nicely sieved, dark brown, peat free blend. So I bought 3 ,with the requirement to start peas, beans, sweetcorn in the near future.
The first bag opened has a richly "cedarwood" aroma (leylandii?) and several woolly root"ne sts", and a lump of blue-grey (gault)clay. Otherwise seems of merchantable quality. Frustratingly these bags lack any indication of nutrient addition (neither visible nor stated as a NPK ) but are described as "potting &basket compost"
The bag has the name of the producer, Whitemoss Horticultural,Kirby,Liverpool who have a website ,again no information relating to nutrients. Any recommendations or otherwise of this product? Will report my results
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 07:19:52 »
Hi everyone, I bought 6 huge bags of the Wyevale own brand compost to use to mix in with heavy clay soil when I make raised beds on my new plot. I haven't opened any yet but will do soon so I will let you know if the bags vary greatly etc. Jane

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 18:12:13 »
Hi I opened 2 of the 6 bags of 75 litre Wyevales own compost today that I bought....I used it to fill raised beds. It seems to be a very reddish brown colour which I found a bit odd but the consistency of it was good, no big chunks of anything & no nasty plastic or glass etc. I don't think I will use it for growing seedlings in trays though. In the raised beds I have also mixed in other types of compost. So all in all I think it will be ok for adding to my raised beds mixed in with other stuff (which is what I had planned to do with it) but I don't think I will buy it again. Will have to see how things grow in it to really get a good measure of it. I am putting it in the beds I don't plan to sow directly into. Jane

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 19:32:49 »
Yes. Tried a bag of their all purpose potting compost.

Purely my opinion. but it would have to improve somewhat to be described as poor. Too high a proportion of large woody pieces. That said, my view is based only on one bag - so I may just have been a bit unlucky - these things do vary.

Cheers

Beersmith
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 19:53:14 »
Noted that Morrisons have RICHMOOR MP compost 70ltr bags @£3.49, 3 for £9. A split bag revealed a nicely sieved, dark brown, peat free blend. So I bought 3 ,with the requirement to start peas, beans, sweetcorn in the near future.
The first bag opened has a richly "cedarwood" aroma (leylandii?) and several woolly root"ne sts", and a lump of blue-grey (gault)clay. Otherwise seems of merchantable quality. Frustratingly these bags lack any indication of nutrient addition (neither visible nor stated as a NPK ) but are described as "potting &basket compost"
The bag has the name of the producer, Whitemoss Horticultural,Kirby,Liverpool who have a website ,again no information relating to nutrients. Any recommendations or otherwise of this product? Will report my results

Got a pleasant response from the producing company when I sent them an email enquiring as to added nutrient. Apparently the processed material is batch tested for contaminants and heavy metals, subjected to quality checks and has added fertiliser rated as NPK 20:10:10
Initial results are encouraging, no weeds and does not dry out rapidly. Good value at £3 for 70ltr.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 18:48:22 »
Opened my New Horizon at the weekend- lovely! :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal