Author Topic: 1st Pictures of 2016  (Read 9484 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
1st Pictures of 2016
« on: January 06, 2016, 14:17:58 »
Went down to the allotment this morning and harvested these:

As I had my camera out I thought I would take a few pictures around the garden:

Firstly a Rose that does not realise it is January!

An in season Jasmine nudiflorum:

Hellebore stermii

Some hybrid Hellebores.

Some Winter flowering Heathers;

Mahonia in flower:

Some Viola in flower and Pinks in bud:

Switched on my hotbed yesterday to encourage my Chrysant stools to throw decent cutting material.
Not that the need much encourage due to the mild spell we have had since I lifted and de-leafed them in early November.

Another thing I noticed but didn't get round to taking a picture and that is my containerised Tulips have emerged before my Snowdrops,Crocus and some of my Daffodils.

Why is it I am  thinking  that 2016 might be a testing year for us gardeners as already there is a lot of stuff out of kilter with this non-seasonal weather!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: 1st Pictures of 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 15:57:39 »
i think your right there fingers crossed my friend
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 16:26:23 »
Stunning pictures as always Tee Gee.  :wave:

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:06:12 »
Beautiful!  But where are your weeds?!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:14:53 »
Lovely pictures, Tee Gee.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 14:22:20 »
bit chilli this morning down the plot but no rain

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 16:44:33 »
a lovely day today at the plot bit chilli but sunny

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 16:46:17 »
and a  couple more pics

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 17:58:17 »
Just curious Johnny

What is the width of your plot?

Is it only the bit between the paths or is the two beds either side of  the paths part of your plot as well?

Again just curious

How many plots are there on the site?

Your pictures always  seem to be from where you have taken these shots and it suggests to me as if your plots are on a long strip of land  in the middle of a housing estate is this right?

Perhaps you could put up a picture looking from the opposite end of the plot  then this will get me my bearings a bit better.

What do you get to do on your plot at this time of the year? I have only been on my plot once since Christmas and that was only to harvest a few veg.

I never really get involved with my plots till the end of March at the earliest and more often than not I don't go on until early April.

Then again I do all my propagating in my greenhouse at home so I don't really have a need to visit my plots apart from doing a bit of harvesting.

Must say your plot is looking quite tidy!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 21:42:27 »
Just curious Johnny

What is the width of your plot?

Is it only the bit between the paths or is the two beds either side of  the paths part of your plot as well?

Again just curious

How many plots are there on the site?

Your pictures always  seem to be from where you have taken these shots and it suggests to me as if your plots are on a long strip of land  in the middle of a housing estate is this right?

Perhaps you could put up a picture looking from the opposite end of the plot  then this will get me my bearings a bit better.

What do you get to do on your plot at this time of the year? I have only been on my plot once since Christmas and that was only to harvest a few veg.

I never really get involved with my plots till the end of March at the earliest and more often than not I don't go on until early April.

Then again I do all my propagating in my greenhouse at home so I don't really have a need to visit my plots apart from doing a bit of harvesting.

Must say your plot is looking quite tidy!
well tg i have plots 83 and 84 they are 16ft wide and around 160ft long plot 84 is the last plot on the site its around 5.2 acres this land was purchased by our forfathers in 1919 when all around was fields   over time houses have been built around  us but we however have been left alone as an in town oasis for our allotments and a haven for wildlife we have a debt of gratitude to the men and women who had the guts to purchase the land for growing their own food we are planning a centenary celebration in there honour i could go on  and on about the history but thats it in a nutshell anyway getting back to the plots 84 is all fruit and a seating area 83 has 14ft x16ft cut flower bed in front of the shed (at the mo covered in fleece to lazy to dig up the dahlias) the rest left to veg and thanks by the way for the nice comment hope i havent missed any thing off

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 22:01:28 »
sorry tg missed a bit off at this time of year im filling bean trenches  pumpkin   marrow  and squash pits with manure and green waste i have a lot of espaliers that i constantly look over a prune here and a tie there today was shed tidy day didnt finish it  i also check every week all my fruit bushes and of course meet up at 11 for coffee(which i make every day) with  around 6 other madmen who venture down to the plot in all weathers tomorrow we are off to a relation to pick up bags of pig manure to top up above mentioned trenches and pits then ill trim the edges of the paths and go back again on sunday and start to top up mulches on the fruit plot  i only go for 3 hrs a day in the winter it keeps me away from dreaded daytime tv

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 23:44:41 »
I only go for 3 hrs a day in the winter it keeps me away from dreaded daytime tv

My word you are keen I don't spend that much time even in summer :happy7:

I like to get my plots dug and mucked by the end of November then that's it in terms of working the soil until the end of April.

As I mentioned previously I only visit the plot to harvest veg around once a week at this time of the year.

In April I start taking plants down to the plots to harden off in my cold greenhouses, then I plant them out in May.

Your plots are a bit smaller than ours, my plot is roughly sixty feet by thirty feet  so by my calculations my big plot is about half as big again as yours. My half plot roughly works out about the same as yours ( It's a big half plot)

I am trying something different this year in as much as I am not planning in using my half plot.

I want to see if my big plot will be produce enough fruit and veg to satisfy me and the other half's needs.

For  the past few years I have given load of stuff away, if  my experiment works I will get rid of the half plot.

In the meantime, as an insurance I won't give up my half plot just yet because if I find that I need more growing area I will start cultivating it again.

Another reason for this plan is: I am knocking on a bit now so I thought I might cut back a bit.

If you want a look at my plots there is a slide show showing a year of my plots on my website Gallery' page. ( Click on my signature to find it )

We do not have to collect manure now we have an arrangement with a nearby riding stables  which saves  them paying tipping charges  on council landfill sites , they now tip it for free on an area we have cleared next to our car park and we just barrow it onto our plots.

Perhaps there is a riding stables near you where you can make a similar arrangement.

I think I might go now and make a  :coffee2:  so ttfn :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 14:48:59 »
took this this morning to try and give you a better look but i think with the low sun this time of year it didnt come out very well

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 18:11:57 »
tg dont mean to be picky 30 x 60 =1800 sq ft    16x160 =2560 sq ft think you got your numbers mixed up im always getting in a fuddle 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 20:42:08 »
Quite right Johnny its your plot that is more or less half as big again as mine.

My mental arithmetic is not bad but I seem to get my totals the wrong way round.  :BangHead:

Sadly another of these ageism things I seem to be getting wrong these days.

Thanks for the photo I think your plots are laid out similar to ours.

ps New Years resolution

I must remember to use a calculator! :happy7:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 21:20:36 »
thats ok my friend  we all have senior moments once in a while plot 82 is in dis repair they never turn up be there 4 times last year they always have a problem or excuse why their plot isnt used ive put my name down for it in case it becomes vacant loads of couch grass hasnt been cultivated properly for 6 years that i know so if i get at some point this year ill have my work cut out to turn it around i give myself a one month window to at least get it dug thru at least 3 times removing the grass and weeds so that will be 7680 sq ft of cultivation with my other plots that should keep me going :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 21:52:09 »
that will be 7680 sq ft of cultivation with my other plots that should keep me going :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Bl**dy hell that will keep you busy I think you will want to get one of your mad cohorts to make the elevenses coffee from then on as I guess you won't have the time. :happy7:

ElizabethB

• Not So New ...
Plotting Pictures
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 15:01:17 »
Picture Not sure if I got it right.

ElizabethB

• Not So New ...
The start 7th May 2014
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 18:54:43 »
Only half a plot so far. Picture of raised bed with marrow plant showing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal