Author Topic: common sense has left the building  (Read 3013 times)

Nora42

• Acre
common sense has left the building
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:47:02 »

I do delight when in a perfect middle class world institutions make arses of themselves.
 "Free Clementine for every child" what a lovely idea ....now read the small print
 "Please wash before eating"
 Really? who wrote that - someone who clearly does not know what a clementine is... who approved it to be printed?

Waitrose fail..........

Nora
Norf London

ACE

• Hectare
Re: common sense has left the building
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:58:30 »
The same person who tells you 'THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN NUTS' on a packet of cashews. Company lawyers I expect.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 14:34:53 »
Ah!  some people do bite in to the fruit to start the peel.

No one expected that takeaway joint to have to pay for a coffee spillage because they didn't say it was hot but they did!

Bill

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 17:25:52 »
Also, if the skin has something dodgy on it you might not want to get that on your fingers before eating the segments.

There's no way to tell if some unhygienic just-went-to-the-loo-and-didn't-wash-their-hands type with a horrible stomach bug has been mauling the fruits in the shop.

I don't bother washing clementines myself, but I have a good immune system and I'm not a small child.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 17:39:14 »
If you get the chance, read the label on the import tray. Almost all fruit is treated with anti fungal compounds to reduce mildew and mould in transit /storage. They will doubtless have been sprayed in production with insecticides and arachnicides at  point of import. Stored in sulphur- rich atmospheres and ripened artificially. The biological hazard of the general public as mentioned, store cleaning materials and air pollution.... Simply washing does not seem enough!!!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 09:09:12 »
I don't think I'm toooo fussy, I eat the odd bit of fruit when I'm in my garden.
BUT - putting aside concerns about pesticides, fungicides etc - next time you come back from a session at the supermarket, go to the bathroom at home, put the plug in the sink, wash your hands and look at the water. My hands get really filthy just picking up things at the supermarket, and I wouldn't want to drink that water, so neither would I want to eat food with that level of dirt on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal