Author Topic: Poor Quality Plants  (Read 9242 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Poor Quality Plants
« on: November 27, 2015, 19:07:00 »
I received some plants which I ordered several weeks ago and they are of very poor quality.  I have to send photos to the company that supplied them and give a brief explanation as to what is wrong with them.  The peony has a hole going right through the root and one of the iris corms is rotten.  However, I am not sure how I would describe the Anemone Multifida plant that I received.  It is just a lot of loose roots.  Surely it should have a central point to it?  I wouldn't really call it a plant so I thought I would ask you all what you think before I complain about it.

I also received two bare rooted rose plants.  Now I think they have been out of the ground for too long.  Again I would like your opinions please.  Newly lifted plants wouldn't be like that, would they?  They make Lidl plants look superior!   

Here are some photos of the anemone plant (roots) and the roses. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Poor Quality Plants
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 21:56:16 »
If you are dissatisfied with what you have received, send these pictures to the supplying company within 30 days of receipt and inform them that you will invoke the Consumer right s Act.2015. You may wish to request immediate replacement or refund. For cheques or debit cards, you should make the claim directly and in writing.
Alternatively, plant them and if they do not thrive, you may then demand refund or replacement. Still write and tell them your view, they will then be aware of your subsequent claim. If their goods are defective, they will frequently be in this position!
 If you purchased with a credit card, notify also the card provider that you seek a "charge back", do not settle on the statement.
If you do not get satisfaction, tell us all. Name names and we will be warned..
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:43:56 »
Lidl plants are normally good and Aldi better.  Are you sure they are happy in a bucket of water.  Not sure I would send pics of them in water. The roots bits look very iffy, but the roses could be ok.    I would heel them into a hole in the ground I thought they needed air to the roots as well as water.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:52:26 »
I would have thought the roses would be ok, but express your concern that you are unsure how well they will do. Make sure you send pics. Usually the larger companies won't even quibble and will just refund or replace.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:13:36 »
Thanks for your replies. 

Lidl plants are normally good and Aldi better.  Are you sure they are happy in a bucket of water.  Not sure I would send pics of them in water. The roots bits look very iffy, but the roses could be ok.    I would heel them into a hole in the ground I thought they needed air to the roots as well as water.

Digeroo, I put the roses in a bucket of water as they were so dry.   I will take another picture of them without the bucket.  I haven't heeled them into the ground as I am not happy with them and want replacements.  I was told by the sales department that the roses are dormant.  I think they were dug up several weeks ago but they weren't dormant as they have leaves on them, albeit the leaves are dead.

Do you think the anemone roots are acceptable?  I paid £4.99 for an anemone plant?

Ancellsfarmer, I am requesting a replacement of healthy plants or a refund.  My credit card was charged in October when I put the order in and has already been on my statement.  I thought I would give the company a chance to put the matter right.

........Usually the larger companies won't even quibble and will just refund or replace.

That's what I thought too.  My plants were from one of the larger companies and I spent almost £90.  The bulbs, which I received from them a few weeks ago, made up half my order and were of good quality.  I will never buy plants from them again though.

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 13:16:37 »
So long as the anemone rhizomes look healthy (e.g. firm, not rotten), I think they should be fine. Plant/pot them now (horizontally under the surface) and the shoots should emerge OK in the spring.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 16:20:23 »
Re chargebacks, already paid? no problem.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback
This is always a last ditch manouvre, but if you get an impasse, no replacements or if they are no better then it will get you a refund. As previously mentioned by others, the plant industry does suffer from the process of lifting, transporting and packing relatively low value items on slow carriers, where the transit may be interupted by weekends or storage in (too ) high a temperature. If they were grown in Eastern Europe or further, then the possibilities build.
Please let us know of the outcome.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 23:49:43 »
The plants were shipped only a day or so before I received them, but I still think the roses had been lifted several weeks beforehand.   Even if they refuse to replace the roses, I do expect replacement of the rotting iris corm and the peony rhizome with a large hole in it.

PondDragon, thank you for your reply about the anemone.  I looked up the website from where I purchased my plants and it does say that "First grade loose root plants supplied." I think I was expecting more of a plant or at least a rhizome with roots.  It took me aback when I saw three small bits of thin string-like roots. My email has gone off to the company now so I will wait and see what they say. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:43 »
Can you cut one of the stems of the roses and show us a pic of the cut,

The leaves might look like that if they have been frosted.  Should not be a problem the growing point on the rose stems look promising to me.

The rest looks like a load of rubbish.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 12:23:01 »
I have cut into the stem on both roses and they were green so I assume they will be all right.  Here are photos of the nicks I have made:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:29:43 by Paulines7 »

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 02:03:36 »
I sent photos and details of the plants last weekend but I have not heard back from the Company.  I have spent hundreds of pounds on plants and bulbs these past couple of years and still have a lot more beds to do.  One thing is certain, I will not be buying from Parker's again! 

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 08:53:15 »
I am sorry to hear it hasn't been resolved. Unfortunately I have never bought from parkers so can't indicate if that is the norm. I would give it a couple more days then resend the e-mail, saying that you previously sent the e-mail but haven't heard anything. Fingers crossed.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 08:57:26 »
Pauline, the quality you've shown us is totally unacceptable.
Send a letter via Royal Mail signed for first class (£1.73) to the MD who seems to be Paul Herman Duiker-Parker at J. PARKER DUTCH BULBS (WHOLESALE) LIMITED  14-16 Hadfield Street, Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 9FG.
Ask him for a refund including the cost of your postage.
Or if you're hi tech which I'm not you could tweet him  Paul Duiker-Parker @Paul_D_Parker or it seems he's on facebook but there's not much action publicly.
Regards, Jenny

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 09:59:23 »
thats a great idea jennym  there have been many reports on here about the poor quality of  j parkers    however i have used  them on many occasions and have always been pleased im sure a letter as jenny surgested  will sort it out having said this the quality of the plants you received was totally unacceptable  and you should not have to go through these channels to get what you have paid for   i feel your pain
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 14:17:12 »
I rang Parker's this morning.  They had received my two emails but no-one had dealt with them.  The girl on the phone said that the plants looked all right from the pictures I had sent!  I was fuming inside though but kept calm and asked how a photo could show a rotten iris corm and how a peony root with a big hole in it was acceptable.  I then said I would write to the Managing Director to which she replied that he wouldn't open the letter and that I didn't know his address.  I told her the letter would have to be signed for and yes, I did have his address.  I said I would also get on to Trading Standards if they did not replace the poor quality plants. 

She said she would ensure that someone replied to my emails.  I told her that I didn't want to wait ages for a reply and wanted an answer today.  She assured me that they would reply today and in that, she was true to her word.  I have just received this reply:

Thank you for your email sorry to see your emails have not been dealt with on the day they have been received, and sorry to hear your disappointment with some of the plants you have received
we will get the plants replaced for you apologies again
Regards Theresa

It remains to be seen how soon I get replacements and which ones they replace. 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 16:50:36 »
well done you pauline standing up to them in that way you must feel preety good with yourself again well done
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 07:10:39 »
Re: Parkers Bulbs poor service - I hope you've had a response to your email by now, if not, send the letter, it will be worth it. The person that answered your call had no authority to tell you it wouldn't be opened - I am sure that the MD wouldn't want his staff to say things like that.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 21:40:55 »
I was surprised to receive a delivery from Parker's about 6pm last night.  I have two new roses, a replacement iris corm, another paeony root, a box of 5 scabiosa and an anemone root.  Although these look better than the last lot, pieces of the anemone root keep breaking off when it is handled. I will be amazed if it produces a plant!  If I was selling paeony or anemone roots for example on EBay, they would be much bigger, healthier and firmer than those I got. The replacement iris corm I received this time though was not rotten and looks good.

The first lot of scabiosa looked all right once I had taken all the dead leaves off and when I took them out of the pots to plant them, they had really good roots on them, so probably didn't need replacing.  I am not going to complain anymore now, for at least I have a couple more roses and another 5 scabiosa.  They will make up for the anemone and paeony root which to my mind, were still poor quality. 

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 06:21:29 »
Glad to hear that you have finally got a reasonable result.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 21:35:01 »
Good show, I don't like complaining , but seems most companies prefer it.   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal