Author Topic: I am getting twitchy  (Read 3630 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I am getting twitchy
« on: November 21, 2015, 18:48:55 »
Neighbours decided to have a firework display I nearly had a pink fit.

There used to be a rhyme about it: Remember remember the 21st of November....

not sure that is quite right!!!

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: I am getting twitchy
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 00:06:13 »
You should be in our East Sussex village: rivers of fire flowing back and forth through the village as armies of flaming torch bearers from other towns and villages marched around, teams of drummers, deafening bangers and blinding flares, a huge bonfire, and one of the longest and most stunning firework displays we have ever seen. 20 people are sleeping in my house after the event, mountains of food and wine were devoured by them and other guests; quiet is descending at last and I am gently winding down. Many of us were French, and the Marseillaise rang out so loudly we were afraid the police would accuse us of being rowdy. One of them was depressed and weepy about her son, a Paris policeman, being in danger. An extraordinary evening.

Sussex has Bonfire Night every week in each town and village in turn, starting in October and ending with us.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:21:05 »
There was rather a magnificent display near us last night.  Maybe it was a late late Diwali celebration, but more likely an engagement or wedding party.  I do enjoy fireworks!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 15:24:00 »
My grandmother used to live in Nutley when I was a teenage.   We always took part in the torch parade.  Loved it.   Cannot remember the bangers.  But we did have several bands.
I remember going round with the tractor picking up wood for the bonfire around the village.   I learned to drive in the tractor.  Never had a problem reversing, a car is so easy in compared with reversing with a trailer.

But it was the bangs.  Been watching too much news, so thought it was gunfire in the street.    Becoming neurotic.   

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 17:32:44 »

But it was the bangs.  Been watching too much news, so thought it was gunfire in the street.    Becoming neurotic.   

You are not the only one - I flinched too yesterday - loud shots - probably a farmer shooting rabbits, pheasants or muntjac.   There is a farmer's field at the back of the garden and I have seen deer recently in the garden (not too keen on them as they munch down kale and chard). 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal