Author Topic: Replacing glass  (Read 3835 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Replacing glass
« on: November 15, 2015, 14:35:58 »
I've inherited a 6x8 Halls with my house, and on clearing out the previous owner's tomato plants and junk (ferret tails, anyone?) and cleaning it down, it turns out to be wearing a fairly impressive mixture of found glass and home-made glazing clips, as well as having an awful lot of missing or dangling rubber seals. Add to that that last night's wind has taken out one of the triangular pieces at the ends, and it needs TLC! 

On the other side the frame is sound, barring a bodged door runner, and I am severely allergic to throwing anything out before it is irrepairably knackered. Especially when bolted to a concrete footing!

So... I reckon half a dozen panes, all different of course, need replacing - where should I be looking, please? Halls website isn't much help. Clips and rubbers are not a problem to source, just the glass.

Thanks!

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Replacing glass
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 14:42:39 »
Hi

Halls greenhouses are still well know recommend you find a local stockest and see if they can order you the glass. Or go to local DIY shop and get some glass cut to size which might be cheaper.

Cam

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 15:15:16 »
Go to local glass merchant and ask for horticultural glass as this 3mm thick as opposed to standard 4mm thick thus making it cheaper.

It usually can be had in stock sizes of 2ft x 2 ft and 2ft x 1.5ft  ( or metric equivalent) and usually they will cut it to size for a small extra charge.

Regarding your triangular piece / template cut a piece of cardboard to to the desired shape and they will cut this for you also.

I hope that helps!...Tg

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 15:32:52 »
Thanks folks - I'll try the local glass merchant road first as our nearest Halls supplier is 15 miles away. Aggravatingly, only two of the panes needed (it's actually five, I can't count...) are the square ones! On the other hand, I suspect that I can re-rubber and gaze a section at a time without too much difficulty.

Adrian

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 22:33:06 »
A local independant garden centre is a good bet too.  They often have separate or integrated companies that do greenhouses, conservatories, summerhouses and the like.  There's one in my town with branches across the north east that sells a mix of greenhouse components and will do glass in whatever size or shape you need for a couple of quid a pane

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 17:30:33 »
I'm a big fan of using the polycarbonate sheets as sold as a substitute, but only on the north side of the greenhouse. It is cheaper, warmer, and much more durable - its only disadvantage is lower light and UV transmission - not a big deal on the north side.

Its a no-brainer.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 17:18:34 »
Wish I'd seen that before I bought glass. Oh well, next time...

We got some cut locally, and have since been re-doing a few panels at a time (as it's really a two person job it's taken a lot longer than I'd hoped, but I'm hoping that tomorrow will see us through). There's an awful lot of window glass in the thing, it turns out, no wonder there's some funny fitting panes... But it's not too bad a job a section at a time. The roof may be fun, luckily we have a beer crate handy to stand on to reach stuff.

Adrian

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 16:36:29 »
...eight more panes to go! Just one side to do, and we're away, then I can think about things like diverting the gutters to a butt and so on.

Just so long as all the glass in there is the right effing size - I've already had to buy an extra pane today...

Adrian

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal