Author Topic: garden chipper  (Read 6398 times)

ACE

• Hectare
garden chipper
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:04 »
I have loaded up the trailer with all the hedge cuttings and prunings from the shrubs and trees ready for the tip. Then I though this is a waste so I am going to get a garden chipper, chip it all up and use it for mulching. I might try it at the allotment with a generator to run it then put all my compost through it and pack it back in the compost pen with the hope this will help it rot quicker or even trench it all. Everything should go through it, sweetcorn, cabbage stalks, weeds and all the stuff that has bolted etc.

Good idea or not? I know weeds will need sorting as a load of chopped roots will have the same effect as rotovating weeds straight back in the ground. But I like to spend an easy hour now and again hoeing, no plot or garden can be weed free so adding a few more won't really bother me.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: garden chipper
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 10:09:43 »
I bought an easrlier version of a Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Electric Shredder and to be honest it wasn't really what I wanted it to be.  It is really for chipping wooden branches - up to maybe 4-5 cm.
It is good at doing that but you cant pile it up with green stuff as it gets blocked.  It was great at chipping my apple and pear trimmings and I kept a load of that for BBQ smoking so i was happy with that but what i really needed was something for shredding all sorts of green waste.  The above uses a screw type mechanism to pull through braches etc and cut them as it goes through - while it is fine for dryish wood it is useless for much else and I am forever trying to unblock it.

They aren't cheap either..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:18 »
There is a difference between chippers and shredders and which you choose is dependant on the type of material you wish to deal with.
One type uses blades and impact to cut the material up the other type uses a roller to crush the material.

Maybe have a look at this brief guide or search for chipper v shredder for a more detailed information

https://www.gardenlines.co.uk/articles/shredders-chippers/garden-shredders-and-chippers-buyer%E2%80%99s-guide

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 11:17:19 »
well that has saved me a few bob getting the wrong type. Thank you posters. I was only going for a cheapie. But a search of our local ads has turned up one that is just the ticket and at £20 it is worth a punt.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 16:44:05 »
I have a Bosch shredder which is rarely used purely because of its predisposition to jamming itself up every five minutes. It wasn't cheap either.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 15:05:08 »
Well that went well, All the garden chipped up and shredded, ready to mulch the fruit cage. Slow and steady does it, My usual going on a mission approach will not be any good as I could see it jamming up, putting too much in. 4 builders bags reduced to half a bag. Hedge and shrub cuttings, date palm fronds, all the autumn leaves, cabbage stalks, celery, carrot tops all crunched down to next to nothing. All those trips the tip are in the past.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 16:27:43 »
Well that went well, All the garden chipped up and shredded, ready to mulch the fruit cage. Slow and steady does it, My usual going on a mission approach will not be any good as I could see it jamming up, putting too much in. 4 builders bags reduced to half a bag. Hedge and shrub cuttings, date palm fronds, all the autumn leaves, cabbage stalks, celery, carrot tops all crunched down to next to nothing. All those trips the tip are in the past.

Sounds kust like what I need - what's the make/model Ace if you don't mind?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 18:20:31 »
I had a second hand one lined up just to see how it went, but missus picked one up in Aldi that was on offer. Like I say slow and steady but it did not jam up and even chopped the leaves up small. A couple of hours to do 4 builders bags of garden rubbish. I cable tied a cardboard hopper on the top for the small fiddly bits and just rammed them in with a bit of batten, even the cardboard went in at the end.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 22:20:54 »
Ace is it under the Gardenline Brand ? Or is there a model number on it by any chance?

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:48:57 »
Surprised at the negative comments on the Bosch, we were given one and it is brilliant. Must have been lucky.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 12:46:28 »
Ace is it under the Gardenline Brand ? Or is there a model number on it by any chance?

Just got gardening essentials on the box. usually £60 reduced to £50 at the moment, but it could be selected stores only

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:12:04 »
Also disappointed by the Bosh.Is fine as long as the twigs are without leaves and between 8 and 30mm thick.Also slow but very quiet.
Read good things about the Viking 250 and the Alko dynamic micro.Anybody has one ???.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal