Author Topic: Can I put a compost bin on concrete?  (Read 8782 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Can I put a compost bin on concrete?
« on: November 12, 2015, 16:01:49 »
I've always composted in an old-fashioned "E" bin made from pallets, and set onto soil on the corner of the allotment. Worms and beasties get in, makes smashing compost. However SWMBO and I have finally bought a house, and an awful lot of the garden is currently concrete or slabs. It would be handy to compost all our home waste at home - can I simply set a plastic composter up on the slabs, or are there good reasons why I shouldn't (wind, rats, leakage, etc?).

Thanks!

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Can I put a compost bin on concrete?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 16:11:40 »
I prefer my compost bin on a hard surface as it is easier to shovel up the contents when I empty it!

You mention wind, rats, leakage:

Wind is usually a problem when it is virtually empty, when part full this is rarely a problem.

I have wrapped a wire 'belt' around mine and fixed it to a stake driven into the ground to counteract this problem.

Never had a problem with rats, as I see it with a plastic bin unlike a slatted walled rats should be unable to get in.

I think you will get leakage, more so if your bin does not have a lid and rain gets into it!

I hope this helps ...Tg

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 16:16:36 »
Yes you can.  First I would site it over a join of four slabs,  Try to clear some or the "grout" or cement between the slabs.  One word of warning and that is that the bin could get blown around or over.  So to add stability I would make a squarish wooden frame just slightly bigger than the bin and put some soil in so that the bottom of the bin is covered.  This will stop blowing and potential rat problems.  It also seals the bottom of the bin.  Provided you don't attach the wooden frame to the slabs you can move it around with the bin when you want to turn the contents.

Another alternative is to lift four slabs (or more if required) and dig out the stuff underneath and pop the bin in the hole.  Back fill the hole to seal the bin in and away you go.

Finally you could dig out the concrete!!

Bill

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 16:18:41 »
Sorry, Bill, got in while I was replying to TG!

There's a lot of concrete.... eventually it'll all go! Well, except for the greenhouse footing.

Adrian

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 19:24:16 »
Rats have chewed their way into my plastic bin! It's on soil anyway so not sure why they had to chew, but nevertheless..! I'd have thought it would take longer for the worms to get in if it's on concrete?

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 21:50:02 »
Adrian

Sledgehammer time I think.  I would try sledging a hole where I want the bin.

Goodluck

Bill

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:40:42 »
I have a plastic compost bin on a hard surface and I just throw a few worms in from time to time. They breed like mad, and slugs and other composting creatures seem to find their way in effortlessly. It is a pleasure to lift the lid and see all this seething activity going on. Never seen any rats around even though this particular bin is where kitchen waste goes. It is lashed to a fence.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 11:21:11 »
I'd advise tying the lid to the bin or putting a brick on top to avoid losing the lid to the wind!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 09:31:04 »
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Arrived home last night to find a Dalek in the back garden...

Now to set it in the allotted (sorry...) spot, and get it going. If it doesn't work on the concrete... well, I enjoy sledgehammer work!

Adrian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal