Author Topic: WANTED alive.  (Read 11119 times)

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
WANTED alive.
« on: November 09, 2015, 00:08:26 »
Hello Peeps.
                 I am new here after finding you all by accident during googling.
The reason for googling was that I wish to aquire some plants,namely ;Daubentons kale and Taunton deane kale.
  I am returning to growing vegetables after a long break so do not have anything to swap.
I did buy two Daubentons kale on eb** but it seems that nobody has anymore. I pulled some side shoots off after reading that they should grow in pots but,they seem to be dying.
  My aim is to have enough kale of different varieties that there is some available all year round,if that's even possible.
  I am willing to pay + p&p if required,I am in Essex.
I must log off and get to bed now and will use the search function tomorrow night to search out members with histories of growing the plants mentioned( you have been warned.

Regards Bryan.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: WANTED alive.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:51:06 »
I am sorry but I cannot help you Bryan as I don't grow kale.  I am sure someone will be along to help you soon.

I just wanted to say welcome to the A4A forum, Bryan.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:05:09 »
Hi Welcome to A4A
My taunton dean was eaten by the deer/slugs, and the daubentons grown from seeds turned into cauliflowers.  But I do have the perennial variegated type going strong.

If you remind me again in the spring I will start off some cuttings.   I just stuck some in the ground this year and most took.  However postage is expensive these days, as they insist that anything lumpy goes as a small package.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:24:14 »
But I do have the perennial variegated type going strong.
Didn't know there was a perennial kale. How does it compare to eat? Could you tell me more about it? When do you harvest? I accidentally bought a summer variety this year and we use it mainly in winter.
Thanks. Ken

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 13:44:53 »
There are several types of perennial kale.  Taunton Deane is green with a tinge of red.  I think daubentons is green.  There are some better experts than me around.

The variegated one is a lovely looking plant, supposed to have a good taste but I'm not a good judge: I do not like cabbages.  I must be honest I do not like greens.

It does not set seeds.  The heritage seed library managed to get some seed but I do not think it came true and I had the best tasting cauliflowers I have ever eaten.  The best I have ever grown.  So something went wrong.  I never normally grow caulis because I am such a failure at it.

Every few years you have to make a new plant but stuffing a shoot in the ground and it seems to root quite easily.  I did put some in a pot but the local hedgehog decided to dig it up so it died.   Must have been a juicy worm in there.

It is very cold proof.  Its one of the plants to fill the so called hungry gap.

If you are a kale fan I would also recommend Russian kale.  Not perennial but it self seeds well.  But very cold proof.  It runs to seed very easily but can be eaten like purple sprouting.  That does have a good flavour even I can eat it.

There is more about it on here
http://www.pennardplants.com/products.php?cat=401

There is a nice picture on here
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/230295/

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 19:41:31 »
Tricky to find in UK? try
http://www.aromatiques.fr/autres-plantes-medicinales/115-chou-daubenton.html#.
, and add to the gene pool!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 22:44:42 »
Hi Welcome to A4A
My taunton dean was eaten by the deer/slugs, and the daubentons grown from seeds turned into cauliflowers.  But I do have the perennial variegated type going strong.

If you remind me again in the spring I will start off some cuttings.   I just stuck some in the ground this year and most took.  However postage is expensive these days, as they insist that anything lumpy goes as a small package.

Thanks Digeroo.
                       That's very kind of you.  If I still need them then,I will make contact.

Regards Bryan.

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 22:48:48 »
Tricky to find in UK? try
http://www.aromatiques.fr/autres-plantes-medicinales/115-chou-daubenton.html#.
, and add to the gene pool!

ancellsfarmer.   Thanks for that link. I tried to order but lost my bottle. I don't speak a word Martian.

Regards Bryan.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 22:10:01 »
Google translate* will do the deed, to and from  French certainly, to Martian may take a little longer. Would be worth growing on the Red planet, needs only a little water......

*https://translate.google.co.uk
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 22:18:32 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 22:37:16 »
I have Taunton Deane bought as stems from a plant sale in Somerset 8 years ago and my first plant has only just died last year!  So it is certainly a perennial.  It is dark green with purplish ribs and is not curly.  In winter and early spring the smaller leaves are one of the sweetest, nuttiest brassicas I've ever had - but in the summer they are more bitter and peppery.  The growing habit is to grow upwards to about 6-7 foot with side-branches which bush out between the leaves and a well-looked after plant will cover at least a square metre!  They really need supports of some kind as a strong wind will tend to knock them over - and unless you are free of pigeons (only possible on the moon in my experience!) then they need protection as the plants are quite strong enough for them to land on top of.  They also suffer with whitefly and cabbage whites.

So this is one that needs to be planned in advance with some kind of structure in place to allow it to survive.  I alway manure heavily before transplanting a new one as you can only top-dress once they're established.  The method of propagation is to remove a side-branch which can be up to 3 foot long, remove all but the topmost leaves, and push it in to the ground as deep as you can possibly get it to go.  The deeper you plant the stem, the better the first-year root system will be as it produces roots all the way down the stem below soil level.  I would not suggest planting it at this time of year as it will be in a very slow growth period and it may rot in the ground.  The best success rates are when transplanting in early spring just as you're sowing your first seeds.

I have plenty of plants which are producing many side-shoots - so if you're still up for it send me a PM with your address around the beginning of March and I'll post you a fresh branch to have a go from.  If you do it now I'm sure to forget.

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 23:03:28 »
Squeezy.
            Thank you for the very interesting and prompt reply,also for the kind offer which I will probably take up in the spring.
  I have 8 12ft x 4ft raised beds. It would be good to fill at least two of them with kale plants.
I just tried to upload some pickies but they were too large and I have forgotten how resize them.

Regards Bryan.

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 23:29:56 »
The resized photo,I hope.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 17:35:47 »
You are probably sorted by now, but just incase 'pennard plants' do both varieties.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 20:11:12 »
I have daubenton cuttings if you still need one. 

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 20:45:54 »

Penedesenca and lottie lou.
                                        Thank you for the assistance and offers of help.
I have received some Daubentons from france through my employers son who lives over there.
   I now need some advice on what to do with them please if anyone could help.
They are about 10" tall and yellowing slightly from the journey,arrived on friday.
I have tried to upload photo's but my efforts seem to vanish into space.

Regards Bryan.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 08:41:48 »
At this time of year protect them from pigeons. To be on the safe side I would put them somewhere sheltered until spring but they shouldn't need any real fussy unless they look particularly weak.

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 14:31:34 »
I have Taunton Deane bought as stems from a plant sale in Somerset 8 years ago and my first plant has only just died last year!  So it is certainly a perennial.  It is dark green with purplish ribs and is not curly.  In winter and early spring the smaller leaves are one of the sweetest, nuttiest brassicas I've ever had - but in the summer they are more bitter and peppery.  The growing habit is to grow upwards to about 6-7 foot with side-branches which bush out between the leaves and a well-looked after plant will cover at least a square metre!  They really need supports of some kind as a strong wind will tend to knock them over - and unless you are free of pigeons (only possible on the moon in my experience!) then they need protection as the plants are quite strong enough for them to land on top of.  They also suffer with whitefly and cabbage whites.

So this is one that needs to be planned in advance with some kind of structure in place to allow it to survive.  I alway manure heavily before transplanting a new one as you can only top-dress once they're established.  The method of propagation is to remove a side-branch which can be up to 3 foot long, remove all but the topmost leaves, and push it in to the ground as deep as you can possibly get it to go.  The deeper you plant the stem, the better the first-year root system will be as it produces roots all the way down the stem below soil level.  I would not suggest planting it at this time of year as it will be in a very slow growth period and it may rot in the ground.  The best success rates are when transplanting in early spring just as you're sowing your first seeds.

I have plenty of plants which are producing many side-shoots - so if you're still up for it send me a PM with your address around the beginning of March and I'll post you a fresh branch to have a go from.  If you do it now I'm sure to forget.

Hello Folks.
                   I am resurecting this post to say that my Daubentons kale are looking good,in pots still.
I am waiting for tree surgeons to come and cut back some mature oaks and for the soil to drain and warm a little.
  I am still intending to add more perennial kale after recently adding cavalo nero to soups etc.
I am about to go over the fence to add a new plot to that pictured previously. This will all be ground level ie,no raised beds.
  Warning to Squeezyjohn- you have a private message on the way re; Taunton Deane.

Regards Bryan.

pratinthegarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 13:02:13 »
Bump

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal