Author Topic: digging down at soggy bottom  (Read 2097 times)

ACE

• Hectare
digging down at soggy bottom
« on: October 13, 2015, 13:02:38 »
Heavy going already, even with the dry weather we have been getting. Not being touched all summer as the pumpkins were covering a big area it is full of weeds as well. But now the crop has been stored somewhere dry ready or the kids at the end of the month. Creeping buttercup is the worst weed of all so it is a very slow job . Normally I would have rough dug it and let the weather deal with the tender weeds, but the buttercup has to come out so it is a fine fork type dig. It will be the last time as the area is gradually being turned over to raised beds which should be drier and easier to maintain.

We did try the pumpkin pie as you do. Too sweet for me, but we also dehydrated a load and then put it through the electric coffee grinder to make a powder which will be used for thickening soups etc. Also I caught a glimpse on the telly of somebody frying a slice in olive oil. Has anybody tried this and what was it like?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: digging down at soggy bottom
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 17:52:55 »
I loathe pumpkin pie but love it roasted in the oven and then turned into soups.  Cut into slices or chunks peeling before or after, whichever is easiest.  Put in a bolw and drizzle over some olive oil and seasoning which can be simple s&P but also herbs and spices according to your mood and taste - Indian spices such as cumin, coriander and cardamom work very well - add some chopped garlic if wanted and bake at 200C.  Cooking time depends on size of slices or chunks.   Eats as is or blitz to make soup or add to stews before serving.

Loads of recipes on BBC Good Food site.

Bindweed is worse than creeping buttercup.  Honest.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 22:00:07 »

Bindweed is worse than creeping buttercup.  Honest.

I don't know your feelings on using weed killer, but a big invasion of bind weed in my herbaceous border was easily dealt with by putting a dozen bamboo canes near the weeds then letting it grow up them. Mix up some weed killer with some wallpaper paste and paint a few leaves on each vine growing up the bamboo sticks. I got rid of it all over a couple of months and no re-infestation. Creeping buttercup has to be dug out unless you spray which is not a good idea on the plot with food growing nearby.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 22:16:22 »
Thanks.   I'm not averse to using a bit of glyphosate to clear paths or persistent weeds.   No bindweed in my veggie beds thank goodness but it has proliferated in ornamental beds where I haven't been able to go in earnest for 3 years because of successive neck and feet surgeries.    I'll try the cane and paint method in one bed where I can't dig out all my treasures as there are shrubs and roses as well as perennials and bulbs but in one big perennial bed I have taken everything out and put the plants in quarantine so I can blitz any thing naughty that regrows.   That includes creeping buttercup and nettles and dock that just won't take a hint no matter how regularly I weed.  They come in again from surrounding fields.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 19:45:17 »
While on the Hythe Beds plot, that buttercup or tagel was a curse. Best trick was to dig out smallest "bricks ize" containing clump and caste up onto the top Allow to dry out and then knock the brick about and the plant could be extracted intact and destroyed. I used a 'rack' of a piece of2" wire netting and dried them off before burning. Very satisfying!!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal