Author Topic: Verbena bonariensis cuttings  (Read 2316 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Verbena bonariensis cuttings
« on: October 11, 2015, 17:10:22 »
My VB have grown very tall this year and have lots of side shoots which look as if they would make good cuttings, but is it worth doing them at this time of year?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Verbena bonariensis cuttings
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 20:48:49 »
I have never bothered with VB cuttings so can't help, they are so free with their self seeding I just pot up the little plants and overwinter under cover. I also used to take the really bottom shoots which nearly always have a few roots on them and treat them the same. Another trick for a really good showing of blooms was to give them a good clipping early on and the plants bulked up. Always worth bringing a few in under cover as a bad winter will wipe them out as they are really only half hardy perennials.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 21:34:59 »
Thanks.Everybody says they self- seed but mine don't seem to. I'll definitely try clipping them as you suggest next year.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 17:57:10 »
Thanks.Everybody says they self- seed but mine don't seem to. I'll definitely try clipping them as you suggest next year.

Mine don't seem to self seed in the flower bed but they go mad if they fall in the gravel path, so perhaps they need the sun to warm them up to get started.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal