Author Topic: SWEET PEA SEEDS  (Read 2344 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
SWEET PEA SEEDS
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:18:58 »
This year I have collected my own seeds. Some are still green. With the difficulties associated with the hard casings, is it likely that the green seeds will germinate better than the harder ones?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: SWEET PEA SEEDS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 21:21:38 »
I would expect them to be dried first before germination.  I find non dried seeds tend to rot.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 08:17:41 »
I only know about culinary peas and mangetout.  There we can germinate seeds that are full sized and partially dry quite successfully. 

If you have enough seeds  you could try a few now and see whether this applies to Sweet Peas too.  If experimenting (and potentially losing the seed) doesn't appeal, better wait until they are fully dry and then doing what is known to be successful next spring.   :wave:

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:35:38 »
Let your still green sweet pea seeds ripen before using.

To improve germination of sweet pea seeds, soak for 24 hours in water, transfer seed to a container lined with kitchen roll and cover with another piece of kitchen roll, keep moist and wait 5-7 days for seed to start germinating, then sow in pots. 

I lost all my own saved sweet pea seeds to squirrels this year - I had wondered what was taking them and a couple of days ago saw a squirrel in my greenhouse eating them, I also lost all my 'corn cockle' seeds and suspect squirrels are the culprits!

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 20:40:10 »
Thanks for your replies. I will experiment with some green seeds but I will also sow plenty of hard seeds. I will post results.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 15:06:49 »
For the first time in 60 years I have saved my own seed and sowed them last Thursday 8th as I always sow on that date. My green ones had by this time ripened. I never soak before sowing, I sow in 5 inch half pots about 10 to a pot and single out once they are all up. I reckon on about 96 % germination, I water when sowing but then no more until they are up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal