Author Topic: shishigatani squash  (Read 3139 times)

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
shishigatani squash
« on: October 09, 2015, 23:21:29 »
If you grew them, how did yours do?

I got 2 of 3 seeds from HSL to germinate, and have one measly mature squash, with a tiddler that probably won't get big enough before the frosts come. Haven't eaten it yet, so I'm not sure yet whether it holds a candle to Black Futsu.

Anyone else do better?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: shishigatani squash
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:09:48 »
I didn't choose it from HSL, but was tempted, they look so good. Love the almost double decker shape. A shame yours haven't done too well this year, but it's been a funny one for squash. Hopefully somebodies did well.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 14:22:33 »
Ditto, haven't started the Shishigatani and probably just as well.  I am not doing well with Black Futsu either.  Not the year for it, certainly not here  :BangHead:  Sorry.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 15:15:07 »
Thanks - will try them again if they taste good. Unfortunately I didn't pollinate the first one and no others materialised until really late. My Black Futsus are tiny this year too, in fact all the moschatas have been a bit rubbish. Hope next year's are better.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 15:34:51 »
Absolutely hopeless here  :BangHead:

Mine were from rareseeds.com

Germinated fine, grew phenomenally well into a very large plant which is still up and running, but it suffered from lack of heat and light in August and only spawned one squash which was exactly the attractive thing I'd been longing to see, only in miniature, and it rotted off at a few inches in length.  There's another baby but too late.

I will do it again next year - it's for some reason a 'must-have' squash for me.

It was a very mixed year for squashes- I had some great performers:  Triamble and Delicata, but as for the rest they pretty much gave up in August along with the Shishigatani

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 17:01:26 »
Hi, this one takes a very  long time to mature, possibly doubtful over there unless you have a super sunny  loooong growing year. The taste is good though after being matured off the vine for a while. It is one of those that when in the UK I would grow early  in the greenhouse in pots , transplanting to bigger as needed then put the plant out when good and sunny but probably from a large bucket so the plant gets a really good start early. It is the same here, iffy for maturity in a so so year but OK if a good year.  Good luck nest year.

Oh the joy of squash!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 22:58:47 »
Thanks earlypea and Jeannine. Mine wasn't huge, but it's a fairly decent size. Wish there were more than one though! This is it cuddling up to a potimarron.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 23:17:35 »
Hey that's not bad at all.  Average weight  is only about 6 lbs with the  the Potty at 4 lbs. that is an good job ..well done. The colour is changing nicely too..

XX Jeanninme
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 13:16:22 »
I did not get mine going luckily since it has been a very poor year for squash except the trombas which have produced only one good one per plant.

PIC looks good I hope next year is better.  Too cold then too dry coupled with too lazy.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 15:39:31 »
I did not get mine going luckily since it has been a very poor year for squash except the trombas which have produced only one good one per plant.

Yep I agree with that, after a very good start for the trombas.  But then this happened.  Both my good ones are not fertilised and on the bigger one which I had hoped to store, the seed end just rotted off  :BangHead:

However next year we will start Shishigatani quite early, set out large and healthy plants, cloche them and just watch them do their stuff!    :tongue3:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 15:52:02 by galina »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 16:04:10 »
Picked my pumpkins today- just three fairly small ones. My butternuts disappeared and I got one uchiki kuri. As others have said, it's been a poor year for squash- my courgettes have been poor too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal