Author Topic: carrier bags  (Read 3839 times)

ACE

• Hectare
carrier bags
« on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:30 »
Why didn't the government insist that shops stop using them unless they are bio degradeable? I am all for charging for them, it is a step in the right direction, but, total elimination would have been the proper answer. Now they will sell small plastic rubbish bags especially made for the use of, which will still go to landfill and carry on creating problems. We now have bags for life? which are not really going to last that long are they.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: carrier bags
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:34:34 »
I agree, the 'bags for life'(life means that you can exchange them in the shop and get a new one if you bring a split one for ever) don't last longer than the ordinary plastic bags.  If you don't overfill ordinary bags they will easily last ten shops and a trip to the apple tree for a supplies pack for the kids to take home. 

We have always brought our recycled bags to the shops and just topped up when needed with new ones from the shops.  Guess I have to get the old cloth bag out now too and somewhere I have a net bag that folds to nothing, but holds a small shop when expanded.  Jute bags last forever and are great for all the heavy things. 

It will get just so confusing whether there will be a free bag or not and in which shop.  As you say, if all bags were paper and degradable, we'd have the convenience and the environmental concerns were addressed too.

But overall it is a definitely a good thing to bring your own bags.  Shops on the continent have been doing this for a long time.  And usually don't sell plastic bags either.  If you are really caught out on an impromptu shop, they usually have a trolley with their waste cardboard boxes or you can buy a jute bag. I also like schemes where you can leave 'over' packaging at the shop.   :wave:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:39:23 by galina »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:48:17 »
Here in Europe they have the cheap "bags for life" the English supermarkets seem to offer but also much stronger ones too, with canvas handles.  I have some that I've been using for about 8 years and they're still good and versatile for other things too, such as carrying treasures bought at plant fairs without mangling your fingers.

The main supermarket I use here has never had plastic bags for packing in the 20 years I've been going there.   They offer the cardboard boxes their stock is delivered in and sell collapsible plastic crates that stack and padded, zipped plastic box shaped bags for frozen and cold stuff if you like.  They make great picnic bags when we go on long journeys.

You chaps just need to ensure that you have the bags or boxes or crates in your car at all times.  You'll get used to it and wonder why you ever needed new, crap plastic bags every time and just think of all that plastic not ending up in the oceans killing or maiming wildlife.
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:01:23 »
When did they bring in the free plastic bags?

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:42:32 »
You chaps just need to ensure that you have the bags or boxes or crates in your car at all times.  You'll get used to it and wonder why you ever needed new, crap plastic bags every time

Very true - used to live in Scotland, it only takes a few weeks before you automatically check: purse, car keys ... and bags before you leave the house. It was so automatic that after we moved I never went back to plastic bags!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:46:13 »
Good idea, no problem for me.  Good idea for Xmas presents buy people shopping baskets, like we had in the old days.  If that worried do on-line shopping, have it delivered and for first order get money off.  The way people are talking you would think it was dreadful/disgusting etc. that they have to think to take a bag with them, or get a bag for life.  The money is going to charity so they say so a great idea, and I don't would to be eating fish with bits of broken down plastic in the fish.  Good heavens, haven't people got more important things to moan about.  Anyway I have my half price shopping trolley from Pearsons (Enfield) and panniers on my bike, so I am OK.   Take the trolley to the allotment and it carries loads of apples, courgettes etc. as I don't have a car anymore.  The supermarkets are having extra security on, as they expect trouble (I don't believe it). Must admit I did sneak a few Morrisons bags yesterday as I use them to line my small rubbish bins, but OH suggested I sellotape the old envelopes up to line the bins (he is getting even meaner than me). I suppose I could knit a bag by cutting old plastic bags into strips, but don't think I can be bothered.  Anyway I expect the shopping basket manufacturers will do well.  Can buy some very attractive ones abroad.  Shouldn't listen to LBC, always winds me up, but helps me get the washing up done.  Just a thought, rather than selling the Big Issue perhaps someone could sell plastic bags outside supermarkets for say 2p and make a profit, I expect most people have cupboards full, and I wonder what Morrisons will do with all their bags as I doubt if people will pay 5p for them when you can get a bag for life for 10p, may wonder down to Morrisons to see if there are any riots. Better save some plastic bags for the grandchildren as they may be worth money in years to come, selling on Antiques Roadshow.  Getting silly now better go back to housework.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:57:33 »
Why didn't the government insist that shops stop using them unless they are bio degradeable?

From what I understand some of the biodegradable plastic bags are not a solution as they do not degrade in landfill as they need light and air 

There are some biodegradable bags made from corn starch rather than petroleum based plastics which will biodegrade in land fill .

However which is the actual bag made of as both can claim to be biodegradable
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:04:17 »
They have been charging for bags here for the last 4 years and agree with previous comments. It really not hard to get used to supplying your own bags, even when buying in shops that don't charge eg local veg shop, it becomes the norm to say no thanks got my own.

Lots of supermarket goods still come in a ridiculous amount of packaging though  :BangHead:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 12:28:39 »
In the days before plastc carrier bags and you had to pay for paper carrier bags, 4 pence in REAL money, I used to line bins with newspaper.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 17:09:20 »
In Wales, the 5p carrier bag tax goes to charities. We now tend to have bags with us, the big strong bags, not necessarily the Bags for Life. However, lack of free carrier bags means we need another way to bring home the copious allotment harvest (got some plastic trug things from Aldi or was it Lidl last year). I currently carry a jute bag with my letter writing supplies so I can write a letter in a cafe sipping a cuppa  :coffee2:
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 18:15:16 »
So how much do you think those flimsy "Tesc*" checkout bags cost ? Bet the poundshops have rolls of 100 before the end of the week!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 21:25:08 »
Mmm. Last night when I couldn't sleep I wandered around e bay UK  and was astonished to see quite  a few folks selling Asda and Tesco
 plastic bags... why...i couldn't figure it out, am I missing something here.

Does anyone remember the old string bags that we carried in our handbags, I have knitting patterns for them still..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 06:59:08 »
How many of us are gleefully sitting on a stash of bags stowed under the sink. They are so handy on the allotment especially in the glut sharing season. Not to worry for the same 5p I can get mushroom trays from the greengrocer that I can carry my produce in the car or tip into the lucky person's own bag if they forget to pretend they are not in when I knock the door loaded with runners.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 08:06:07 »
I have always had a bag of bags somewhere in the kitchen - these days they migrate to the plot because as Ace says they are d**n useful.  What annoys me is that we get a weekly delivery from Sainsbury's and often you get one item in a bag.  Anyway that is going to stop as well I believe as they will be charging per bag and the rate at which they use them means we will be paying a fortune!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 08:13:01 »
No, not under the sink.  We got a jobby like these
http://www.organizeit.com/plastic-bag-recyclers.asp
from Ikea ten or more years ago and that makes it easy to save and recycle plastic bags.   :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 09:26:50 »
Just been to Tesc* for the milk. "would you like it in a bag?"  "  No please leave it in the bottle" !
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 11:13:30 »
My local small supermarket (Jempsons) gives you a free jute bag if you spend over £50. They are large, strong and very useful, and I always take a couple with me for shopping, plus old plastic bags for loose things. I have a large stash of plastic bags, and shall be rather sorry when they run out, but I am absolutely in agreement with efforts to phase them out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29631332 explains how disgusting and destructive waste plastic is.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 11:33:27 »
Just been to Tesc* for the milk. "would you like it in a bag?"  "  No please leave it in the bottle" !

:sunny:     thanks for the laugh!   :sunny:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal