Author Topic: Rough looking leeks.  (Read 2023 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Rough looking leeks.
« on: October 04, 2015, 17:29:37 »
Hi all,
My leeks started well but over the last month or so they look very tatty.
I haven't had this problem before, the only cause I can think of is the excessive rain we've had up to this lovely spell.
any thoughts?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Rough looking leeks.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 18:45:26 »
I hope it is nothing worse.  Don't want to put you off, but perhaps google 'allium leaf miner' and 'leek moth' and click on images and compare to yours.

Many gardeners up and down the country now need to net their leeks and onions.  Soon we all need to do this to cope with these pests.   :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 21:50:07 »
I had what looked like grubs in the leeks, I salvaged a few, then a fellow plot holder said he cut his off about half way last year and they sprouted again clean. I have done the same, so I will see how they are getting on this week when I get back on the plot.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:16:20 »
Sounds horribly like second flush of leek moth. Cut them to the ground and they'll recover, but obviously you'll have lost a lot of growth while they do.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:37:02 »
It's odd, I don't seem to get leek motion my plot, and yet Saddad has to net his alliums on his plot opposite mine. Perhaps they can't fly over my fence!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 14:54:57 »
Thank you for your replies. When the rain stops, I'll have a firkle to check the roots etc..

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 20:08:56 »
Thank you again for your replies. I dug a few tatty leeks and indeed there were holes in the upper leaves, and I found a single grub which looked like the ones you find in older peas. I conclude that this is the result of 'Leek moth?
This is the first time in 35 years as an allotmenteer that i have seen this let alone suffered from it. I will try and cut the tops down as gray and Ace suggest, but with the season geeting on, I will Soup a lot, cut down and see how it goes.
Thank you all again!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal