Author Topic: 4 Trugs - Devivered, Built and soil on way - Now what !  (Read 2469 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
4 Trugs - Devivered, Built and soil on way - Now what !
« on: October 03, 2015, 20:27:19 »
Hi All,

So concrete has been poured, 2 pads (joined) one for the greenhouse (10x8 rhino ordered) the concrete has been sealed and painted.

The 4 Trugs were collected on friday by husband and i have ordered 2 tons of "Fen Black" soil to fill them. I will be adding to the soil (pearlite and some slow release fertiliser) the soil is coming next friday!!!

I have copper tape to put around the legs :)

As there are 4 trugs (1.8m length) i think i should have a hand at crop rotation, so the question is there anything i can plant now?

I am going to be picking up some Cabbage plants as well as onion and garlic sets from Defland on the following Saturday.

other suggestions please?

Cam

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: 4 Trugs - Devivered, Built and soil on way - Now what !
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 20:42:56 »
thats the magic of grow your own you sound so excited its fantastic i hope it works out great for you  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 21:01:34 »
Thanks dare not get my seeds out though otherwise i will want to plant everything!!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 21:17:28 »
If you have a Lidl they have got trays of living salad for a pound.  It'll cheer you up even more to see something growing.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 21:48:43 »
As there are 4 trugs (1.8m length) i think i should have a hand at crop rotation, so the question is there anything i can plant now?

I am going to be picking up some Cabbage plants as well as onion and garlic sets from Defland on the following Saturday.

You do not say how many plants and sets you are getting but may I suggest you put them all in one bed and this will help you with your rotation plan, and future plantings.

Just remember that your garlic and onions may not be ready for harvesting before you start planting out what ever you intend to grow next year, so you might find this restricts your future plans.

Plus if you have to give winter protection it will be relatively easy to protect one bed as opposed to bits of all four.

In other words do not be too hasty and do some planning.

For your information I do my bed planning before I even buy my seeds including taking what crops I have on the go throughout the winter months into consideration.

I also generally find that I can follow my late maturing garlic & onions with a late cropping variety of something e.g. Calabrese & Cauliflowers or my winter crops for the following year.

I hope these examples of my procedures will be of use to you....Tg

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 21:51:54 »
tg you really do think off everything i wish i lived near you we would have such fun
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 22:18:02 »
I think i am going to get 8 cabbage plants.

Garlic and onion will go into another trug to assist with carrots in spring

Yep once i have them all filled i am going to cover with membrane was only going to plant up 2 at this stage.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 22:34:21 »
If you have a Lidl they have got trays of living salad for a pound.  It'll cheer you up even more to see something growing.

Strongly recommended:
Easily potted up 72 from the last one, so suggest you share with friend(s) and spread the cost!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 22:49:31 »

That is such a good suggestion - do try it - you'll feed so proud and lettuce in the greenhouse should be going until Christmas or thereabouts.  Then it goes into dormancy to resprout in March or thereabouts.   :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:45:25 »
I would suggest parsley Tesco is good.  Lettuce goes for longer under plastic bottles.  I would suggest some salads.  I am a fan of red Russian kale very winter hardy.   It will germinate down to 5c.  You can eat as micro greens, eat the leaves and then when it flowers you can use it like purple sprouting. 

Also a few peas under bottles, you will not get much, but they are fun to watch and you can eat the sprouts.  They will grow amongst the cabbages.  You can also plant them early next year and then put in brassicas next to them, when the peas finish the brassicas take over.

It will not be long before you can plant strawberries.

I would have a think about the square foot gardening techniques. 

I am a fan of broccoli, just bought some to go in now, hopefully will get a bit before the winter if not they will hopefully sprout again next year. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal