Author Topic: Some people are just heartless  (Read 2091 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Some people are just heartless
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:50:24 »
Came back last night from a local folk club to find that the Alice-in-Wonderland scarecrow that our kids had made for the village competition has been stolen from our front garden.  What possible use could anyone have for a broken broom, some scrap clothes and sticks lovingly arranged by children???  Purely an act of wanton vandalism.

It's not just us - two other people in the village were less fortunate and their scarecrows were burnt to the ground.  Honestly - we though this would be a nice thing to get people involved in and to brighten up the village in the autumn  ... but no - they have to go and wreck it!

I have reported it to the police - who were very nice about it - but obviously they have far bigger fish to fry than a couple of missing scarecrows and I understand that.  I dread to think what I might do if I caught any of the thick *@!#(&@£*(!^s in the act.

So angry!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Some people are just heartless
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:57:01 »
How frustrating.  I expect the kids were very upset.  I do hope they make another one for the competition and have not been put off by some scumbags

I also understand that the police have better things to do than protecting scarecrows, but vandals start somewhere.    In the good old days when there were local bobbies they knew who the likely suspects were.   

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:51:49 »
A huge lack of respect for other people, other people's belongings, other people's feelings.  A bit of cheer, anything a bit lovely, funny, hilarious (you name it!) - somebody obviously put some effort into it, but 'lack-of-respect' has to destroy it or nick it.  Because they can.  Not sure how these people 'tick' or why they 'tick' the way they apparently do.  Yes it is heartbreaking and infuriating.  So sorry for your children, one of the nastier experiences in life   :BangHead:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 13:19:45 »
Sadly there seems no sanction against such stupidity. A whole generation or two have been allowed to grow up while being unbiddable, show little respect for any form of authority, terrorise their teachers, control their often single parent and do pretty much as they please.
Faced with numerous such anti-social acts in a village where previously I had a shop, caused quite a fuss by offering to the parish Council, to provide and maintain a set of stocks. The clerk then proceeded to ask the village PC to "have a word" with me! However ,he was like minded and related an instance when he finally lost his patience and detained a particularly unruly 14 year old, taking him to the village police office and handcuffing the kid to the chair. The lad was not phased by this, asking "what are you going to do now?"
The copper said " I 'm about to phone your mother" The kid retorted " Oh no, not half way through "Eastenders"! The parent was phoned and when told of her sons predicament said" Can you hold on to him, I'lll leave in 15 minutes."
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 14:07:36 »
Sadly I think the blame starts with my generation (65+) we bred the people who control the world who in turn bred the next generation who know no better.

I have to to think where we went wrong and I keep coming back to the sixties & seventies when there were freedoms the like of which had never been seen before.

I was brought up during WW2, my parents were brought up in WW 1 and my grandparents grew up when there were "the rich" and " the poor" so we all knew nothing else other than 'austerity'

Personally I have no complaints with that I had a happy childhood!

I can remember things like if I was punished at school my parents would more than likely turn round and say..." Well you must have deserved it" and then get on with what ever they were doing.

Similarly much as we wanted pocket money to buy treats there was no point asking for it because it was not there to be given.

This helped to make us appreciate the Christmas presents of say one toy an apple and an orange and a shiny sixpence much more.

My two grandsons want I- phones for Christmas this year and there is a good chance they will get them plus the other expected bits and pieces despite austerity'

Yes I am sure my parents would have loved to have given us more if they could have.

OK I was no angel and I got up to mischief but I new if I went too far I knew would get my come uppence so that in itself was a deterrent.

Plus we we taught to respect other people and their property,the local Bobby was someone to fear and respect yet and was lucky enough never to feel the right hand of the law on my ear.

The headmaster was also a person to fear and respect as were our school teachers, now we regularly here of the abuse these people get.

So to sum up, management are paying themselves more than they are worth, many of the public want something for nothing, the kids have got everything so for alternative entertainment they stoop to such deeds, plus many of them seem to have little or no respect for other people or their property,as seen in this case.

I do not want to go back to the forties & fifties but on reflection there are things to be learned from these days,if only the people who try to manage the problems of today would look to the past for some guidance how their forebears did things then I think things could get better.

OK I will now vacate the "Soapbox" for someone else to right the world :angel11:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 18:22:46 »
Ugh ! So sad to hear this ...I reckon they were the same mentality  as the two lads we came across the other day . We had gone up to the small cliff top carpark , over looking Church Cove , Gunwalloe ,a lovely place to sit and watch the sun set .... they were in their black car with their base ball hats on , listening to music ...actually , the music wasn't too loud ....but as they drove off , we then saw the plastic carrier bag with their picnic rubbish and empty bottles of cider with fruit which they had just deliberately left behind on the grass .
We were so disgusted that anyone would do such a thing . Anyway..sigh .... we picked it up and took it home with us .
Trespassers will be composted !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal