Author Topic: Mulch soil or not  (Read 2343 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Mulch soil or not
« on: September 26, 2015, 20:59:00 »
I'm clearing the allotment. I've had enough of this awful year but hopeful for better next year. I've got loads of spent hops, What's the best way to use them now. I was think of rough digging the soil and then top it with hops to keep it covered over the winter. Is that a good idea or should I leave the soil open to the elements?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Mulch soil or not
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 21:18:35 »
I did exactly that last year and as well as keeping the weeds back I couldn't believe how much it increased the worm population!  I don't think it will add much in the way of nutrients but it's good humus for the soil.  I found that mine tended to form a kind of crust after the winter finished and I needed to poke holes through to plant out seedlings.

But it works as a mulch very well.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 21:51:29 »
We used to use masses of spent hops back in the 40s when the breweries used to give it away , then the found it wold sell. Now the micro breweries are almost glad to get rid. It is the best conditioner  you can get.

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 20:21:38 »
Tomorrow I plan my weekly call on our nearest micro brewery. I expect to collect a dozen bags of spent hops free of charge which I will take round to the allotment where they will become stock in our shop, to sell to members at 20p per bag.
On the local sticky clay soil spent hops have a dramatic effect. When spread on the surface and lightly cultivated in, it will make the soil in your bed much more friable after a couple of months.
I have also found them to have a beneficial effect when preparing planting sites for top fruit and soft fruit. I remove the top soil, and fork the hops into the compacted clay subsoil, then replace the topsoil and let it all settle before planting.
I have heard that the Eden Project in Cornwall, in an old china clay pit, uses spent hops from the local St Austell brewery.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 18:18:46 »
I've starting to cover the soil with the hops. It looks nice but I know it will protect the soil in winter, But will make a home for slugs to stay in winter?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal