Author Topic: Define subletting  (Read 2883 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Define subletting
« on: September 22, 2015, 19:40:36 »
I have been looking after my parents allotment more this year due to their poor health. But they have been going to the allotment when they feel they have the energy. I went to pay the rent the committee accused my parents of subletting the allotment to me. I told them I will pay the full rent if it is an issue but they just ignored it. But only this year they have been less to the allotment due to health. So do you think they are right?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Define subletting
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 19:55:17 »
It's a delicate one that ... on one hand the rules are usually that you have to look after your allotment to keep it and you lose it if you cannot keep it under cultivation or don't pay the rent.  However there should be no reason why you shouldn't be helped by friends and family to do that!  If there's a waiting list on the site then I can see that the committee would be worried that your parents are trying to pass the plot directly to you ... and maybe that worry only manifested itself when you tried to pay the rent yourself.

Do you think that if you parents continue to pay the rent directly themselves that would make a difference ... I don't see how they could complain then.  And you could continue to help them out.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 20:22:57 »
We would not interpret this as subletting. As Squeezyjohn says it is normal for family and friends to help out when the designated plot holder is suffering from ill-health. If they can pay directly and have some involvement then it shouldn't be considered as subletting. It is a bit sad if a committee deems it better to re-let a plot rather than let a couple enjoy some pleasure from a plot they have maintained for some years with help from Friends/family.

Regards

Bluecar

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 21:14:01 »
yes indeed i agree with all of the above it would not be a problem on our site seems you have an over the top commitee
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:39 »
As a committee member myself I would be concerned but I don't think we would chuck you off!  We would expect the plot holder to let us know of health difficulties and that friends/family were helping out on the plot.  A chat with a committee member would suffice or a note if needed.  I say this because we like to know who is on our site.  Just yesterday we had an incident with a trespasser that almost turned ugly.   

However if someone is no longer able to look after their plot in the long term then we do expect them to give it up - while it is fine for friends to help out in the short term, it cannot go on indefinitely.  It may sound harsh but we have had this exact situation and we have had to make it clear that you can't just hand over the plot to a mate or sibling.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:04:26 »
Whilst I get frustrated with the weed seeds from derelict plots around mine ... I'm very glad there isn't that kind of pressure on the under-subscribed allotments where I garden. 

There's an old ex-professor and surgeon in his 90s who has the plot next to mine ... he has Parkinsons, is nearly blind and is very frail - but he still has a good go at growing stuff every year.  His plot is a bit of a mess - but we all pitch in doing a bit of weeding - putting his bean poles back up after a gale etc. and try to help him keep on top of it rather than chucking him out.  He won't last for ever - I'm glad we can appreciate him while we can.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:09:18 »
Same as Nick really. Do the committee know the situation and when your parents are likely to be back? I'm on our committee, and we sometimes only find out about things like this when someone has complained. Managing their plot for a season or possibly even 2 would be ok with us, as long as it would be possible for them to come back. Some of our plots are worked by families rather than one person, and it shouldn't make a difference if it's a family with young kids, or adults helping older parents. Perhaps, as well as talking to the committee, and if they are up to it, your parents could come with you to the plot? It might help if they were seen taking an interest, even if they can't do much at the moment.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 20:53:50 »
Got it sorted today. The unofficial word was that I upset the person in charge of taking the rent money by helping a plot holder in early spring by letting him use my rotavator for free apparently the plot holder did ask the committee member also who wanted to charge him some money for using it. It didn't know at the time. The official word was he was having a bad day. The rent got paid. Allotment politic's at it's best.
The committee know about my parents illness for a long time and I have been growing vegatables especailly the excotic vegatables with them for a lng time. It was just the initial shock that threw me.
Thankyou for the advice.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 22:59:19 »
Very glad you managed to sort it all out, and thanks for posting how it all got sorted - it's a shame that it was all stemming from something so petty.

Roll on next season!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 09:49:20 »
It is so nice to hear an allotment issue sorted sensibly.   So often disputes end poorly.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 15:41:07 »
hurray for common sense hope you enjoy your plot with your parents for many seasons to come :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal