Author Topic: Spiced apple cake  (Read 4705 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Spiced apple cake
« on: September 14, 2015, 15:13:39 »
This year I have been overloaded with cooking apples from the allotment.  My Bramley apple tree from Morrisons 12 years ago, has surpassed itself this year.   I have made apple sauce and frozen some, given loads away, but it seems that it has been an excellent year for apples.  As I hate waste, looked up a recipe on this site and found one that sounded good, Gordon Ramsay's spiced apple cake, so just off to buy the ingredients that I don't have. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Spiced apple cake
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 21:22:21 »
Sounds like a great idea.  I have lots of eating apples.  I suppose I could make one and freeze one.   

Is this the recipe

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/512673/spiced-apple-cake

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 21:44:57 »
It is in the oven, will let you know if it is a disaster.  My cooking is not too good, but did get all the ingredients and it tasted good raw.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 22:13:36 »
This uses a lot of apple and it is sure to be a success. 

Do let us know please how it turns out, Borlotti   :wave:

PS: another apple cake, one of my faves by Mary Berry
http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/baking/the-very-best-apple-dessert-cake
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 22:24:17 by galina »

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:31:48 »
Well it turned out OK, had it for pud last night with custard.  Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood (what a sexy man) are good together, Mary Berry is always so pleasant and kind, seems a lovely lady.  Will definitely try that recipe.  Have loads of Conference pears now, and toms so off to look at recipes.  Made some courgette, mushroom and tomato puree, but haven't tried it yet.  After cooking it and freezing didn't fancy it, tasted a bit bland, might try adding some cooked mince for spag. bolog.  Just checked my chest freezer and it is full of redcurrant, blackberries, gooseberries, raspberries.  Fridge is full of jam.  Better get eating. Still bringing home loads of cooking and eating apples (my new trolley very useful). Loads of plums on other peoples allotment going to waste.  Spoken to allotment Sec. to try and get a table where unwanted produce can be left for people to use (I hate waste). So many fallen apples and pears on the allotments, would be good for wine or cider but that involves a lot of time and effort. Anyone tried dandelion leaves as my next door neighbour wanted some for her mother, but not picking any today as it is going to pour with rain. Think they are meant to be good for you.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:59:05 »
yes,we to have a glut of cooking and eating apples,I do like the look of both of the apple cakes......I might allow myself a skinny slice.

I do not bake much .............

FREEZING...................

I did read that you can slice the apples into small pieces then freeze them as individuals then put the frozen pieces into a larger bag and freeze then you can
pull out how ever many bits you need at a future time........rather than freezing them in one lump...

is that how you folk do it.....??

Gazza

shirley B

• Quarter Acre
  • my beauties
Re: freezing cookers
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 14:14:16 »
 I peel, core and slice my bramley's into freezer bags about a pound at a time, pop in microwave for a couple of minutes and freeze ready for all uses. I think I got the idea on this site a few years ago.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 14:18:16 »

FREEZING...................

I did read that you can slice the apples into small pieces then freeze them as individuals then put the frozen pieces into a larger bag and freeze then you can
pull out how ever many bits you need at a future time........rather than freezing them in one lump...

is that how you folk do it.....??

Gazza

Yes exactly - freeze on a tray on a non-stick baking sheet in the top of the freezer for a couple of hours, then into a freezer bag.  The apple slices will still stick to each other again eventually, but a slight bang of the bag onto the side of the freezer frees them up and the individual slices can be used for a cake from frozen.   :wave:

Incidentally - I have one of those Vigo presses for apple juice.  You are supposed to run the apples through a macerator before pressing the juice (or you won't get much juice).  But halving the apples (to make sure there are no worms), then freezing on the baking sheet, will also break the cell walls and give good juice yields.   :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal