Author Topic: brown rot  (Read 3593 times)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
brown rot
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:26:36 »
I had some brown rot this year on my Victoria plums,a lot had fallen by the time I noticed it and had rotted in.If I watered around the tree with dilute jeyes fluid would it help to steralise the soil without harming the tree????
                                           Thanks

Gordon.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: brown rot
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:00:16 »
I am no expert on this topic but reading around it seems that burying infected fruit is the way to deal with them. From that I would guess the soil destroys the fungus in time itself.

It seems pruning any cankers out where the fungus might hide and clearing up any fruit remaining on the trees or ground is the answer.
Watching out for infection during blossom time and removing any infected blooms is the next step.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 13:11:02 »
How do you identify infected blossoms? Just as importantly, how do you spot them on a twenty-foot tree?

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 07:09:12 »
thanks daveyboy for the information,good job my tree is only 7ft high.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:06:39 »
I am no expert on this topic but reading around it seems that burying infected fruit is the way to deal with them. From that I would guess the soil destroys the fungus in time itself.

I've used a very successful and quick method to deal with any dodgy plum fruits - that have any disease or pest - but you need a big bucket per tree - or a small header tank for a bunch of trees.

It's very cheap and takes 10min to set it up - after that it is much more convenient than any alternative.

Basically you turn them into vinegar which kills both fungi and maggots without the nasty smell you would get from simply soaking them.

You just put 10cm depth of water in a bucket and add enough sugar to start the process - a 10% solution is ideal - probably 100g per bucket. Then you can start adding dodgy plums, though a big batch may need more water - just enough to cover them. If this means you have diluted the solution below 5% before the fermentation is in full swing then add sugar to compensate. Put on a cover or a bag to keep the rain out. You can add dodgy apples etc. but you'll need to churn the mess to get them to go under - plums are denser and stay down.

Dodgy fruit adds quite a bit of sugar to the liquor, but you will need to give at least one more dose of sugar when it is say 50-70% full. If it starts to smell of anything except wine or vinegar it definitely needs more sugar.

You can be absolutely sure no maggots will escape the seething CO2 and the fungi will be overwhelmed by the wild yeasts - and you'll be glad you haven't passed the nasties on to anyone else.

When the plums & pests have all been digested they will settle and you can pour off the vinegar through a cloth to use as a cleaning agent for glasshouses etc.

The compost heap will relish the comparatively aseptic sludge.

Cheers.

PS. Wouldn't it be useful to have a category devoted to collecting tools & techniques in one place?
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal