Author Topic: Displaying crops  (Read 4390 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Displaying crops
« on: September 12, 2015, 14:16:36 »
I took my [feeble] entries into the show hall this morning in our local town to see the guy next to me taking 'dog toy rubber rings' out of his bag,  he then covered them in a cloth and sat an onion inside each ring :D   It just tickled me :)
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Displaying crops
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 15:03:09 »
see the guy next to me taking 'dog toy rubber rings' out of his bag,  he then covered them in a cloth and sat an onion inside each ring :D   It just tickled me :)

Perfectly legal unless the schedule says otherwise.

I used to use pieces of rainwater fall pipe cut to various height e.g 2" - 1½" - 1" and a piece of black velvet this allowed me to display them in tiers.

Others would use a bed of sand on a plate.

If the schedule said otherwise then the exhibitor would be disqualified.

Funny old game is showing veg.

I am going to the show of shows on Friday---The Harrogate Autumn Show to see if any more world records will tumble.

This was last years show

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Blogspot/19-Harrogate%20Aut-2014/Blog.htm

The vegetable section is at the foot of the page.

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Displaying crops
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:25:57 »
Hi ya, I had a go at showing a number of years ago in a local show. Very interesting but I was coached by a master showman who always did very well. I helped him set up and the time and stuff he took with him was suprising. It stood me in good stead as though I could not compete with him I won 3 first's 4 seconds and a third in the local little show he did not show at as he was well up the chain at county and beyond level. Interesting though and the way they display and use different ways even down to the way the black cloth is laid out. He used rubber rings on his displays aswell and to get his blanch leeks to stand up was amazing. You have to be very OCD as it has to be just right. Good though

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal