Author Topic: Big onions Advice please  (Read 3416 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Big onions Advice please
« on: September 05, 2015, 15:48:08 »
Ok   I want to beat a pal at growing a big onion or two next year !

I usually just grow onion sets for eating   in general and do fairly good !

But  i want to grow a few big ones  so Seed  is the way to go i am told  Kelsae onion seeds Plant on Boxing day in a pot of good compost  in  warm  greenhouse or in house ??
   So over to you any advice please !!
i don't belive death is the end

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Big onions Advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 16:05:24 »
In my opinion the first secret is the 'SEED' its just not enough to buy Kelsae seed good as they are.

What you want is re-selected seed these are from plants that have actually made the grade, i.e. 10lb + whereas bog standard Kelsae from say Robinson's will probably only get up to 5-6lbs.

And that is only the start!

This article is quite good:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable-show/large-onions-show.php

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:11:02 »
  " Only five to six pounds "  !     LOL !   
Trespassers will be composted !

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 09:55:35 »
 :icon_cheers:        ?????????????

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 10:15:48 »
Hi Ya, Very good Tee Gee good article. Sorry to say I gave already bought my Kelsae seed but I will be happy with 4 to 6lb and show all. I will remember your tip for next year, where do you buy your seed?You never know I may get the bug then stand by Peter Glazebrook . :happy7:  I can but dream, Happy Gardening

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:11:32 »
where do you buy your seed?

I don't grow large onions anymore but when I did I used to buy them privately from a top grower.

As that was nearly twenty years ago I have lost touch with him!

I think Medwyn's seed as linked in that article might be as good as any.

I have noticed that at the shows his onions seem to be that bit better looking than Robinsons, and as I mentioned before that is not to say Robinsons are not good.

If I remember when  I go to Harrogate show on the 18th of this month I will look at what the top growers are growing now.

Places like this is a good starting point when setting out on the 'Big veg ' trail at least you can get the chance to pick up the best seed for the job.

But getting the right seed is only part of the task of getting big veg, as they can be quite labour intensive if you want the success.

I was always taught that to succeed "the results you get are commensurate with the effort YOU put into it"

So do not think because you have the right seed that you are guaranteed success!

I have always tried to stick to this regime. In fact I still pretty much apply the same attitudes today as old habits die hard.

As an aside I always thought that winning the under half a pound onion was a better class to win simply because more people entered it and weight was critical, plus the also ran onions you picked to get your three or five exhibits, tasted better than the giant ones. So with these I got the best of two worlds.

So the best of luck with your venture.

BTW sowing on Boxing Day is an old wives tale, the top growers onions might be the size of Spring onions by then.

In the end it all comes down to the facilities you have!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 13:25:56 »
My 2 penneth worth:

You can do quite well just with sets if you feed them.  I got a bag of nice looking Centurion sets from Home Bargains this year, 99p for 25 sets and they produced a row of sound onions weighing 300 to 400g.  OK not mammoth standard but a nice crop and much admired by the neighbours.

Wot TG said:  what you get out is very much a function of the effort you put in.

Ailsa Craig seems to be very popular on the show bench and the seed is widely available.  I think you will also need to invest in a piece of enviromesh to grow them under - allium leaf miner/onion fly seems to be spreading across England at least.

Good luck - I don't know what it is about onions but they seem to impress the Vets.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 16:33:23 »
Will be happy with 5lb or 6 lb   will be great !!

BTW sowing on Boxing Day is an old wives tale, the top growers onions might be the size of Spring onions by then.

so when   to start ??

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 17:25:50 »
so when   to start ??

They will probably start late October / early November but to do this they have geared up for the the lack of light through the short days of winter.

For example: They will probably grow on their plants in what might be described as a tinfoil lined wardrobe.

In this they will have fitted fluorescent lights on a timer and tubular heaters on a thermostat, and their seedlings will sit on tiered shelving.

Personally I used to start the first week in January something like this;

As I have said previously I do not go in for the the 'big stuff' so I have raised the light up to roof level, but in the past it was suspended under that shelf above the hot bed.

Their is some more info and pictures here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onion/Onion.htm

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 09:00:41 »
Hi Ya, I did not realise what the top boys do, I would not be popular I thinks if I tried that. Just a little greenhouse and maybe a little extra protection. I have managed to grow  3lb effort but more luck than any thing. I will try again though. Perhaps Peter,s record is is safe for a while yet Happy Gardening

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 20:26:44 »

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 16:06:43 »
well   i  will give it a good go  this coming year will post results here next year

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 08:48:15 »
Interesting thread and tips  :wave:

I picked a two and a half pound onion (kelsea) yesterday, which seemed huge to me, so I can only imagine at what a 10 pounder might look like growing!!!

Go for it Graceland, looking forward to your results and I hope you beat your pal. I think I've been bitten by the bug this year! I'm not sure I can manage a very early sowing but will have a go next year at getting one to around the 5-6 lb mark, would be awesome  :icon_cheers:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal