Author Topic: My "victoria plum" tree isn't a victoria plum!  (Read 3334 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
My "victoria plum" tree isn't a victoria plum!
« on: September 04, 2015, 22:24:53 »
I bought a tree labeled "victoria plum" from the Oxford branch of Wyevales 3 years ago and this year it has begun to give a few fruit and is doing well ... unfortunately the fruits are all much smaller and far darker purple than any victoria plum I've ever seen (aren't they supposed to be the large ones with yellow and red markings?)  They're not quite ripe so I can't tell what the taste is like yet.

But are garden centres allowed to do that?  Mis-label plant varieties with a more saleable name?  And what can you do about it when a tree has had three years growth?

I'm afraid I feel a bit cheated here.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: My "victoria plum" tree isn't a victoria plum!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 22:54:54 »
First, it's probably a mistake (on the part of their supplier or an employee), not deliberate policy.

Secondly, it might be that the root stock has displaced the grafted variety, before or after you bought it.

Thirdly, Wyevale (like many other nurseries) offer a (lifetime) guarantee on plants they sell.

Fourthly, any sale to a consumer has to meet certain standards, including that it is what it is supposed to be.

Is this the first year it's fruited and obviously wasn't a Vicky P? Do you have your receipt?

Even if not, go and have a pleasant word with them - they may surprise you.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 23:24:05 »
It's definitely not the rootstock as the graft is perfectly intact.  This is the first year it has fruited - and I agree it is far more likely to be a mistake than anything sinister.

As for keeping the receipt ????? Is anybody so organised that they keep receipts from a non-business thing for 3 years?

If they do offer a lifetime guarantee I can't see how that can cover 3 years of having looked after a tree that is now at least 10 foot tall!

I think realistically I'm stuck with these plums.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 00:02:27 »
I had a similar thing happen and it turned out to be a greengage.  Considering what has been said about them, I regret not keeping it.  The shop did actually replace it.  It did still have their label on it.  Though this was not Wyevale.  Actually the replacement died several years later.

I have a goji berry from Aldi and it has never produced more than six berries.  And I cannot get anything out of Aldi.  I am hoping to cut it down soon and return it.  It is huge.    They were selling them again recently.  I should have done it then as a warning to others. It was a goji but it has not produced the fruit on their picture.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 05:02:40 »
Does anyone else find the skin on Victoria plums quite bitter, or is it just me? Or my tree?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 17:42:14 »
Well - I still don't know what these are ... but they're definitely not Victoria plums!  Nevertheless they are perfectly ripe now and absolutely delicious and sweet.

I think I'll let Wyevale's off this time!  I'm definitely not returning it ... it's about 12 foot tall and wouldn't fit in my car!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 07:34:33 »
I have friends in Stafford who bought a Victoria which clearly isn't... possibly a Kirk's Blue. Still it gives us both an overlap and so a longer season!  :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 12:26:11 »
I have friends in Stafford who bought a Victoria which clearly isn't... possibly a Kirk's Blue. Still it gives us both an overlap and so a longer season!  :wave:

They've really hit the jackpot if it is Kirkes Blue - fantastic peerless intense flavour - but that might be a consequence of the way it does self-thinning to quite a small crop.

They should still try and fit a Victoria into their plot as well - I don't think it's coincidence that the wonderful thing about Victoria is its subtle flavour and the result is a great yield of mild but moreish fruits. You can't get a better definition of the important difference between subtle and bland.

I've just cut down a Yellow Pershore - huge crops of pointlessly bland fruit. I can't believe the RHS recently renewed its AGM purely on the basis of yield - painfully indicative of everything that's wrong with vegetable growing and showing in Britain today - fruit choices made by florists  :BangHead:- need I say more?

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal