Author Topic: camper van trouble  (Read 2674 times)

Nora42

• Acre
camper van trouble
« on: September 03, 2015, 17:46:04 »
Oh dear poor Helga our 8 year old T5 camper van broke down on the A28 just outside Abberville in the valley of the Somme, it lost power and developed a loud clonking noise which can only be a complete disaster. so the rescue mission kicked in  we were towed to a main dealer in Abberville where we hung about for hours never being offer a seat or a drink the whole time. and then were told that they don't repair engines in France they replace them and that would be 10,000 euros, American Express , yes that will do nicely an would you like to rub my tits too.

I ask you.

So Helga is still in France we were foot passengers on the ferry £116.00 no refund. I had to pack all the essentials into a hire car in 15 minutes, every thing that would go off in the fridge and everything we haven't got two of.

Needless to say none of us has any underwear we have cycling gear but no bikes they are on the back of the van. I forgot my shoes . I has to leave all the wine and bring home the children and if another member of my family asks me where this or that has gone I am going to go mad. and since returning I realise I have left a garlic bulb in the cupboard - oh that'll be nice then in three weeks time, when we get the van home and see what's wrong and if she can be fixed.
I feel emotionally done in . but do realise the important thing is we are all ok even if we have to be commando for the next three weeks.
Nora
Norf London

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: camper van trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:35:16 »
This is so *not*  how holidays should end.  :BangHead:  I feel for you and for your family.  Hope the camper can be repaired for a reasonable price.  Is there a 'tow you home' type of insurance you could get for next time? 

And then the school garden disaster on top of it all.  It's hard to stay philosophical about all of this.

Just hope that the time before was lovely and eventually good holiday memories will come to the fore.

:(

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:51:18 »
Hi Galina, we had a fabulous holiday (up till the last day) but as I said to the kids it's all just part of the big adventure and that this was a valuable lesson about the responsibility of owning and running a car - very valuable for Mr 13 who believes the keys to an sports car will be gifted to him on reaching 17.
we are fully insured and they have paid for our repatriation and will pay for the vans repatriation to it will just take a few weeks.

I am trying to remain philosophical about it all, if the events of the last two years, loosing a sister, a friend and a stepfather to cancer, have  taught me anything, is that life throws crap at you all the time. you can choose to lock yourself away and hide or live and deal with situations and still consider yourself to have some luck in some small way.

Helga although we love her dearly is only a machine and machines unlike humans can be fixed.
Nora
Norf London

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 14:02:03 »
Sorry to hear about your holiday, Nora.  Surely a camper van engine should last longer than 8 years!  I doubt it has done that much mileage compared to a car that is the same age.  It sounds like the French garage were trying it on, so fingers crossed that the fault is something easily repairable. 

I hope it all goes well with recovery and repairs.  You will need another holiday to get over this last one!   :thumbsup:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 20:33:15 »
Oh no! We're off to France in our campervan tomorrow so really feel for you! Think I'll check our breakdown cover to make sure it includes recovery to England! would it be cheeky to ask if you can recommend any campsites in that area?  :happy7:

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 22:04:36 »
Hi Caroline we stayed in the following :_

municiple camp site in Ambroise on the Ile D'or

a municipal campsite in the Ile De Re near la Rochelle in the ramparts.

and on in the basin of Arachachon

we found them on this site http://www.camping-municipal.org/
I'm guessing you have an Acsi card?

sorry can't be more accurate my file with recits is still in the van
Nora
Norf London

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 23:47:49 »
Pound to a penny the so-called "dual mass flywheel" has started to break up - a common fault on those and similar engines.  It should cost less than a thousand pounds to fix, not E10K!

We've had breakdowns in France several times over the years, and each time has been a bit of a trauma, but we've always emerged successfully thanks to the good old RAC.  I was recovered to UK from Normandy once, made it to the ferry and was recovered from Portsmouth once, and the other times it's been fixed locally.

Good luck - it almost certainly isn't as bad as you fear!

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 16:45:27 »
Yes Melborne12,
I would be surprised if it is as bad as they said too - got the paper work out today T5 TDI transporter : only 2 of the 4 cylinders working. it's a 5 cylinder engine and they are the main dealer. Go figure. it has to date only ever been serviced by a main VW service garage and has only done 60.000 miles no warning lights appeared and it was checked out before we went. As you can imagine the worse part is not actually having the van back yet and so not being able to work out what needs doing.
For insurance purposes they want an inventory can you imagine.
Luckily we do have list of what is where in the van and what gets added when we are away I just had to a "pile of smelly washing" "knickers" and a rotting garlic bulb......

will it never end.

will keep you posted.
Nora
Norf London

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 12:27:34 »

Luckily we do have list of what is where in the van and what gets added when we are away I just had to a "pile of smelly washing" "knickers" and a rotting garlic bulb......

will it never end.

will keep you posted.
Nora

How did it end? - van back and all repaired and hopefully not to costly?  A friend mentioned going on a caravan holiday recently and I remembered your ordeal.  Hope all is ok Nora.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal