Author Topic: Loganberries.......any growers?  (Read 4151 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Loganberries.......any growers?
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:58:36 »
After visiting Sissinghurst th his week, and tasting an Eaton mess dessert made with Loganberries I am now seeking to grow some at my allotment. Any advice from anyone who already grows them welcome, which varieties do you recommend, number of plants needed and the type of support required is what I would really like to know if possible, thanks.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Loganberries.......any growers?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 15:08:28 »
i love them treat them like blackberry's and you ll have no trouble
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 15:58:53 »
got a pal who has one they do  ok but there  drop seed everywhere and you have the thorny ones  pop up all over the place  good mulch me thinks
i don't belive death is the end

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 16:59:39 »
got a pal who has one they do  ok but there  drop seed everywhere and you have the thorny ones  pop up all over the place  good mulch me thinks
they are a bit thorny but i mulch them 4inches plus with bark every year which feeds them at the same times i get loads of fruit too much in fact i let fellow plot holders pick some when i get enough they taste rich with a slight boozy taste i think they are my fav berry

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 17:02:07 »
I have one plant and it's massive. No thorns on mine! It tends to grow really long shoots and sprawl everywhere so I tie it in to a support.

I can't remember what kind it is but the berries are delicious.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 17:05:47 »
I have one plant and it's massive. No thorns on mine! It tends to grow really long shoots and sprawl everywhere so I tie it in to a support.

I can't remember what kind it is but the berries are delicious.
[/quote indeed they do mine is the one at the rear of the picture the front is a new blackberry black satin i spent today cutting all the old growth from them all my berrys took me all day  from logan thru to summer rasberrys it was a task and a halflol :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 17:29:10 »
There is a Thornless variety which is better than the older thorned ones. Never found a seedling from ours in 20 years here.
Do find that the fruit tends to dry up if the plant gets dry at the roots when the fruit is forming.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 19:53:13 »
I have a thornless loganberry LY654.  It produces new plants from the end of the stems so I tend to get lots.  I would offer you a rooted shoot in the spring, but posting things can be difficult nowadays.  They refuse anything lumpy and say it is not a letter.

The plants are quite big.   They do tend to sprawl so need support.  Once you have a plant it is easy to get more, they root from the end of the shoot like blackberries.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 20:36:45 by Digeroo »

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 22:28:27 »
Most of mine are very thorny, but I do have one thornless plant. It doesn't seem as vigorous as the others, and in my opinion doesn't taste as good. The birds have helped seed them all around the plot in the hedges. Well worth growing though.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 00:30:05 »
Thanks for all the info, that's been really helpful thank you!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 10:28:02 »
The problems with loganberries have mostly been solved by the thornless one - the size is only a problem in small gardens.

The last big problem is that they are only ripe enough for eating 'out of hand' for a day at most (I joke they are only ripe for 45 minutes - the truth is in between).

The solution to ALL these problems is the Tayberry :blob7:. The plant is easier to control, the flavour is better & sweeter though it's a pity the thornless one (best for gardens) has slightly less flavour.

The main thing is that you can enjoy them at raspberry red and they are just as nice (but different) at maroon - which is 2-4 days later.

I think they stew even better than loganberries - but they rarely make it to the pan. The jam is just the best - it's the only jam I bother to eat.

I have to admit a disclaimer - I love fresh fruit and regard stewed fruit as a 3rd rate substitute  - if I have more than one portion per month then it's one too many. Especially if it is hidden inside a pie, tart, trifle, crumble, mess etc. (I know many people take the downright unhealthy opposite view).

I also enjoy fruit and milk products more if they are kept separate. I make an exception for blueberry yoghurt but I still prefer plain - and hazelnut of course.

Since I raised the issue of preserved fruit I should take this opportunity to evangelise the delights of pulped-fruit ice lollies - just wonderful - and even better in 2 berry mixes. The very best is Tay & straw.. but blackcurrant & pear beats the rest.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 16:16:03 »
logan berry all ready for next year

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 16:28:08 »
hope this is the right way up

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 01:38:52 »
A bit of good news, a colleague at work has kindly agreed to share her very productive Loganberry with me, it's a thornless variety that has huge crops of large fruits, so sorted!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 16:08:36 »
Fruit is delicious, but I think I prefer tayberry, the plant is a thug.... mine hasn't had a good year, but then the same is true of most of the raspberry type things round here.... not many blackberries even....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 23:53:09 »
Glad you are sorted out, Gratty (plot 120) has some tayberry/loganberry type canes...  :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 06:37:25 »
My MIL had a very rampant thorny one, but fantastic tasting fruit. And when I say thorns I mean thorns.  It is a real brute.   My thornless one not a thug but if you let the runners root I think it might would gradually take over.  Good year here for blackberries and autumn raspberries.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal