Author Topic: Club root  (Read 5664 times)

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
Club root
« on: September 01, 2015, 22:28:28 »
I have got club root in my polytunnel, not sure how it has got in there, but it has, a bit upsetting as I like to grow my cauliflower and romanesco in there. I limed last year but it seems to have made no difference, you cant buy that patio cleaner that would have got rid of it, any more (unless anyone knows different)
I was wondering if a really good soaking with Jays fluid would do any good, or would this ruin my soil altogether.

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Club root
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:41:35 »

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:19:25 »
Thank you, I have read that thread but as it is quite old I was hoping that there might be some new ideas/advice.

Alan
Just one more allotment.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 15:11:50 »
 a dose of fluid wont hurt  id give it a try
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 15:38:07 »
Many still use Armillatox as it is the only thing that works , you just have to be clumsy and spill it in the right place, it has not changed only in name of use.

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 19:41:15 »
Thanks for the replies, so where can you buy Armillatox from, I have found it on a couple of sites but it is always out of stock.

Alan
Just one more allotment.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 19:54:18 »
Refer to the USA site for Jeyes fluid, its uses and dilutions. Product is apparently the same formulation, but the UK distributor is allegedly unwilling to pay the Euros necessary for "approval"
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 21:28:08 »
You can get it in many garden centres because of the common market rules it is now sold as a path cleaner but is exactly the same as before .

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 21:50:40 »
I have asked in many garden centres for Armillatox and have been told it is no longer available  :BangHead:

Alan 
Just one more allotment.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 22:16:51 »
Try ringing Armillatox direct and they may be able to find you a supplier.

Their website & phone number are here:

http://www.armillatox.co.uk

Their e-mail address is

armillatox@armillatox.co.uk

I got these details from the label of the bottle I have.

BTW if you can get it, expect to pay teens of pounds per litre, but do not to worry a litre goes a long way

I grow lots of brassicas and a litre usually lasts me two seasons.

ps if you get any joy perhaps you can let us all know where you can get it
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 22:42:37 by Tee Gee »

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 20:04:08 »
In the absence of a (legitimate) pre-treatment, the best advice would appear to be:
Ensure crop rotation is rigid, including all  susceptible crops :cabbage, cauliflower,calabrese, brussels, kales,swede, turnip, radish, wallflowers.
6 year rotation (almost impossible?0
Never accept or buy in plants from any source.
Always grow your own plants in sterilised soil or compost.
Remember to clean tools, wheelbarrow wheels, and footwear in bleach solution.
Try not to use home produced compost on these crops. Never compost roots, or any infected plant part. Remember that feeding these plants to, for instance poultry or rabbits ,will result in spores passing through the livestock and if composted, return to your plot. Farmers suffer from this also, it being found in gateways and where rabbits can feed and defecate along field edges. Oil seed rape is another crop which can suffer. Straw from this crop may find itself in cattle feedstuffs and potentially can then pass via manure, back into the growing environment. The viabilty of the spores is thought to be up to 5 years.
Local authority green waste could also recycle such fungal spores if the composting process does not reach and maintain relevant temperatures for long enough.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 17:52:44 »
Allotment neighbour who always has serried ranks of beautiful brassicas of all sorts (and we are riddled with club root throughout our site) swears by A) growing his plants to a respectable size before putting them in, and B) sprinkling copious amounts of lime into and around the transplanting hole. His site is white as snow for a bit afterwards.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 20:25:11 »
Lime certainly does help with club root, but you do need to be carful what crop follows as potatoes do not like the lime. My cauliflowers cropped well grown straight from seed but the roots had large club root swellings . I think the lime had  let me have a crop but I need to be careful. I have not yet managed to decide which parts of my plots have club root and which are clean. Only the tops go into compost the local council can deal with the roots as they say they have plenty of heat for the compost making.

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 23:18:05 »
The border of my polytunnel that is infected is now been treated with Jay's fluid, treated once, dug over, treated again, dug over and treated a third time. I will try one brassica in it this coming year and update this thread with the results.

Alan
Just one more allotment.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 02:47:33 »
The border of my polytunnel that is infected is now been treated with Jay's fluid, treated once, dug over, treated again, dug over and treated a third time. I will try one brassica in it this coming year and update this thread with the results.

Alan

Maybe dig a small hole, fill with commercial compost and plant into that.  At least the roots are getting a start.  Not an option this time of year, but another recommendation is to make a depression into the soil, line it with rhubarb, backfill with clean compost and plant into that.  The rhubarb leaf is supposed to act as a bit of a screen.  Sorry no experience with Jeyes Fluid and who effective it is, but I am sure there are a lot of experts. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal