Author Topic: Herb Garden  (Read 1495 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Herb Garden
« on: September 01, 2015, 19:26:05 »
We decided to put a small herb garden out in what was the kitchen garden. Can't use any because although there are gateposts, car tyres, fences, trees and walls the dog has taken a fancy to cocking his leg all over the herbs. So I am going to build another at the allotment. I have found some wild tyme, and fennel, but do you reckon those little window sill pots they sell in the supermarkets will be any good for planting outside in a bed. I shall chop all the leaves from our garden herbs and transplant them, they should be fit to use next year, but I will need a bigger selection.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Herb Garden
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 21:20:17 »
I regularly buy little pots of herbs form the supermarket cos they're better value than the cut herbs in packets.  I've had success with rosemary and tarragon and large leaved basil but coriander, thyme, parsley and fine basil never seem to succeed if I pot them on.  I think they're sown too densely and don't like having their roots disturbed by the time they get to the size they are sold at.   

Never need to buy chives.  One pot of ordinary and another of white flowered chives from a nursery have spawned enough to fill my garden if I let it.  I grow a few different mints in large pots so haven't tried growing on the bog standard one from the supermarkets.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:05:06 »
I always use Tesco parsley.  I divide the pots into four and throw them in.  I do find a plastic bottle for a bit of protection to start with helps and perhaps a couple of slug pellets until they get going.  They have not been hardened off.  A two for £2 offer gave me piles of parsley all summer.  And the self seeders from last year doing well as well.   

The first year I started the lottie on 5th March and planted Tesco Parsley, so I always plant it out same date now.   Planted some more in the front garden a few weeks ago and that is a goer too.  Though the slugs have had a bit of a go.

Never managed Thyme for long.  Got that from Aldi in three colours.

mrrigsby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:38:52 »
Thyme,oregano and marjoram can be divided and moved to your new bed. Parsley, fennel and coriander are easily grown from seed and if you have marjoram and sage in your old herb bed, these are simple to propagate from cuttings. You can often find herb plants on offer quite cheaply at car boot sales or charity sales etc. 

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:59:08 »
I started a mint patch with a reduced, nearly dead, growing pot from Aldi, it's done what mint always does and 4 years on I'm trying to get it out....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal