Author Topic: glut time  (Read 1660 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
glut time
« on: September 01, 2015, 15:38:42 »
what this season has surpassed your expectations and turned into a glut mine has been tomatoes and beans bucket loads this is todays large tom haul another tomorrow been like this for 3weeks so far from cherry to beefsteak  its been monumental
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: glut time
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 18:15:45 »
Toms, slow to start, have done well in the end and the passata supply is filling up nicely.  Pink Fur Apple spuds came in well - 16lbs off a couple of small rows.  Main crop spuds, Desiree, have done well with nice big spuds and not much wasted.  Carrots good.  Beetroot - rubbish.  Apples absolutely heaving, my mate was literally wheel barrowing them out.

It's been and odd year, not the best by any means but no blight and little white rot has meant decent crops.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

maureen.alder.9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 18:45:20 »
Toms, beans, cucumbers and peppers have all done well and still lots to come I have frozen a lot of the peppers not sure what they will defrost like

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 23:07:31 »
I wish I had been picking my tomatoes like some of you have - but despite hanging banana skins - taking off leaves etc. most of mine are nice and big and resolutely green!  Sigh!  There just hasn't been enough August sun.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 06:21:25 »
Lots of beans, courgettes and apples.  Potatoes doing well.  Grown the carrots in the garden away from the deer and tea leaves they are good too.  Raspberries great.   Lots of beetroot. 
Not a good year for broccoli.  Sweet corn good.

Lots of green tomatoes too.  But so far no blight.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 15:04:59 »
todays haul of toms
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal