Author Topic: Rainbow corn  (Read 4179 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Rainbow corn
« on: August 30, 2015, 21:27:30 »
I have grown corn this year with the multi-coloured kernels - I'm calling it rainbow corn as I forgot the exact name. Its only now that its ready that I realise the colour only develops once the corn is no longer fit to eat as sweetcorn. It doesn't taste that good, so now I'm wondering why anybody grows it. Am I supposed to let it mature and use it as a decoration? Am I missing something.  Any comment would be welcome.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Rainbow corn
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 22:13:16 »
It may be able to be used as pop corn.  Perhaps you can grind your own cornflour.  Otherwise I am growing it as well, I think I am getting a decoration.   I am growing it for a bit of fun.  The pink tassels are quite pretty.  No corn as yet.  Waiting for the silks.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 22:14:48 by Digeroo »

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 15:02:27 »
I suppose that if I end up with decorative corn cobs they will last a few years and I needn't hurry to repeat the experiment. I shall trying popping some, but I assume they will need to be fully mature and dry for that.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 15:50:33 »
For pop corn they need to be dry but not completely so.  It is the last remaining water inside the kernel which swells up when heated and pops the corn.   The optimum is about 13.5% water.  I have no idea how you work out whether the corn is right.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:49:18 »
Look up "parching corn".

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:34:11 »
Its only now that its ready that I realise the colour only develops once the corn is no longer fit to eat as sweetcorn. It doesn't taste that good, so now I'm wondering why anybody grows it. Am I supposed to let it mature and use it as a decoration? Am I missing something.  Any comment would be welcome.

Personally, I don't think that's quite it.  I grow coloured corn most years and it's because I like the flavour/texture once it's coloured up.  I guess it's the difference between a sweet vegetable and a kind of tasty, nutty starch.  You could say the same of broad beans.  A lot of people swear the early bean is the only way to eat them (like peas), but I prefer the later starchy stage, which is according to gastronomes appalling.

I'd say, if you want to grow really sweet (mushy) vegetable corn, then coloured ones are not the way to go.  If you like it nutty, starchy then do!  I normally roast mine.  Currently, they are developing their colour very, very slowly with the lack of sun.  I've eaten a couple semi-coloured up but they are still too soft and sweet for me.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 17:06:15 »
I am really worried about mine they are only just showing signs they might produce silks with pointed bits,  though one stem does have five.   Two months left they need to hurry up

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 21:26:10 »
Two months left? I hope so, but we are already down to 9 degrees at night.
Interesting to read your input earlypea. I guess I am a fan of the mouthwatering sweet varieties, and often eat it raw on the plot, but maybe I should take a fresh look at it. I have never roasted corn, so that may be worth a go.
I shall now go and read about parching corn.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 21:47:33 »
Well, reading about parching corn has necessitated a further post. Very interesting. Just to quote a few words from one page...

"I took a few kernels, but with low expectations. Surprisingly, the kernels were soft. As I chewed them, they became sweeter, then developed a delicious nutty, rich flavor, unlike anything I'd ever eaten."

I shall have to experiment a little more.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 07:17:13 »
We do often get some warm days  in October.  I have a whole stand of baby corn as well without a tassel in site.   I once grew some polenta corn and found it very tasty raw.  I ate it somewhere between baby corn and normal size. 

There are also hominy grits.  I am not clear how you turn corn into grits. Not sure it is a process to attempt at home, not sure how the Indians did it, possibly with wood ash.   Had them once but only once, avoided after that,  They are supposed to be delicious.   

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 11:46:39 »
Well, reading about parching corn has necessitated a further post. Very interesting. Just to quote a few words from one page...

"I took a few kernels, but with low expectations. Surprisingly, the kernels were soft. As I chewed them, they became sweeter, then developed a delicious nutty, rich flavor, unlike anything I'd ever eaten."

I shall have to experiment a little more.

It's not surprising as we have the enzyme amylase in our saliva which converts starch in to sugars.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal